Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell Empty
PostSubject: Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell   Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm

When released in Europe, the title was Azincourt, as this is the French spelling of the area where the famous battle took place. For US release it is titled Agincourt.

The battle that was made famous by Shakespeare in Henry V is told, in this third-person version, mostly through the eyes of an English archer named Nicholas Hook who, after striking a psychopathic priest who raped and ordered murdered a young female "heretic", is outlawed in his country. Eventually his exceptional archery skills are noticed and he is taken in by another English lord, and he is part of the army who, under King Henry V, lands in France so Henry can claim "his" French crown.

The first order of business is the siege of Harfleur. The city is much tougher to take than the English think, and the siege becomes protracted, and the English army is devastated by widespread dysentery. When Harfleur is eventually taken, the English army is nearly shattered and dispirited.

Instead of returning to England on ships at the nearby Normandy coastline, Henry orders the army to march toward Calais, mostly to show the French he won't be driven out that easily. Calais is an English-held city, and if they can get there then they will be safe. The French army, much more massive and healthy than the English army, allows them to go pretty much unimpeded. The French army finally confronts them at a field near the castle of Agincourt.

Anyone who has read Henry V or any historical accounts of this time knows what happens next. Through a combination of startling events, but mostly due to two things: 1. the English longbow, which the French do not have, and 2. an appalling lack of competent leadership in the French army, the decimated, outnumbered English army pulled a stunning victory over the steel juggernaut that was the French army.

It took a while for the novel to grab me, but toward the end I was pretty much into it. The violence is unrelenting and very graphic (there is a scene where captured English bowmen, especially hated by the French, have their fingers chopped off, their eyes gouged out, and are castrated). One does not feel much sympathy toward the main character until near the end, where he finds himself fighting for a young French woman he has rescued and fallen in love with. And it is clear that the author, a native Englishman, is very much rooting for the English and vilifies the French outrageously. Cornwell is still a decent enough writer, and if you are looking for a historical adventure then this isn't a bad read.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell   Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 pm

How close is it to the actual history? I mean, it seems to be largely fictionalized, but does the writer keep to the central dates and events?
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell   Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:08 am

The events and dates themselves are pretty much adhered to with accuracy. In the afterward the author states that not much in the way of actual eyewitness commentary exists concerning the battle of Agincourt. One of the biggest divisive issues among scholars are the actual numbers of English vs. French troops there were at the battle. It is generally accepted that the French outnumbered the English by a considerable margin, but by exactly how much is not clear. For the sake of his story the author chose to go with the current ratio accepted by most historians (what that is now I can't remember). Many historical figures, including various French and English lords, along with, obviously, Henry V, which are dramatized in the novel actually existed and were at Agincourt. The English longbow, whose arrows could penetrate plate armor, and the terrible French leadership are also cited by historians as the key reasons as to why a theoretically superior French force was defeated so soundly by an English army that was far fewer and number and riddled with dysentery.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell   Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 am

Wow, sounds interesting.
I really wish I could read more these days, but a lot of the time I sit down and my mind is more or less exhausted when it comes to reading.
Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell   Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell Empty

Back to top Go down

Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell
Page 1 of 1