Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog Empty
PostSubject: Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog   Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:53 pm

My best friend gave me this novel for Christmas, and I am reading it now (though technically I should be finishing my paper). It somehow draws me it, although it is nothing like the novels I usually read. There are two perspectives: a concierge's and a teenager's point of view. Both are extremely intelligent, and try to hide that fact from others. The teenager plans to kill herself in a few months, but I guess their ways will cross before that happens, and the concierge will save her somehow.

What fascinates me most is how the teenager usually starts her chapters with a title like "Profound Thought #1", and you naturally expect some completely teenager-like rubbish to follow - but the text turns out to actually contain a profound thought.

The novel takes place in Paris. If that wasn't printed on the cover, you'd still know - it feels distinctly Parisian. I don't know how many of you have been to Paris, but the city has a typical feeling to it: part metropolis, part history, part art, part flea market. I always take particular pleasure in reading books in their settings, so I'll take the novel with me on my next trip to Paris (which I hope will be soon).
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog   Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying this book! I came across it in Barnes and Noble one day, and the title attracted my attention. I'm normally wary of new and popular fiction, though, so I never purchased it.

I think I'll add it to my to-read list now, however.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog   Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Wow, it sounds really interesting, Laura! I'll check it out after I finish the three Anne books.
YES! I found out that my local library has it. Very Happy But they're all on loan... Sad
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog   Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm

I just added Barbéry' first novel to my read books. It wasn't as good as "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" - but still a decent read, with the same characters (though in a different arrangement) and setting as the other one.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog   Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog Empty

Back to top Go down

Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Page 1 of 1