Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Herta Mueller?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, is anybody familiar with the work of Nobel Prize winner Herta Mueller? Apparently she is Romanian-born, with very little work out in English, although I imagine now that she's won the Nobel Prize more of her work will come out in English.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Never heard of her. But to be perfectly honest, I don't think the Nobel Prize for Literature and literary achievement necessarily have to go together. Many of the people who won it in the past have never achieved great fame, neither before nor after their win. Out of more than a hundred people who have been awarded with the Nobel Prize, I myself have only heard of around 30, and only read fourteen, and of those fourteen, only really liked William Golding, Pablo Neruda, John Steinbeck, Pearl S. Buck, T.S. Eliot and perhaps George Bernard Shaw - William Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway I even despise from the bottom of my heart. And who has ever read anything by Churchill? I mean, read it actually for the literary value?

So, don't worry if you don't know her. I guess many of the writers on the winners list only became known because they won the Nobel Prize, not because they would win in a popularity contest.

Also, let us be grateful for a moment that Ms Müller won the Prize - and not Ms Meyer.

On second thought, nobody can understand above joke without this information: Müller and Meyer (or Meier) are the two most common names in Germany Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 pm

I was just curious. I happened to read the story in the newspaper and figured I would throw it out there just in case someone was familiar with her. Those are good points though, Laura. Smile
Back to top Go down

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 6:12 am

Very true, Laura. Do you know anything about her that you'd like to share, Paul?
I've read a bit of the History of England by Churchill ... it's very good actually. And I am thankful that Ms Meyer has not won the Nobel Prize, although I am fairly shocked Obama has won the Peace Prize. What has he done, I'd like to know?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:06 am

Selene wrote:
Very true, Laura. Do you know anything about her that you'd like to share, Paul?
I've read a bit of the History of England by Churchill ... it's very good actually. And I am thankful that Ms Meyer has not won the Nobel Prize, although I am fairly shocked Obama has won the Peace Prize. What has he done, I'd like to know?

Nah, I don't know a thing about her, expect for what I read in the newspaper. I guess she is about 58 years old, and a lot of what she wrote years ago was not exactly smiled upon by the governments that were in charge back in the days when there was still an "Iron Curtain". Beyond that I know nothing about her.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 am

Wikipedia is a friend. I've looked through her list of published works... frankly, I wouldn't pick up any of these based on title alone. I mean, "Life is a fart in a lantern"?! WTF? But I guess she deserves the award, since she's won just about any other award available out there. So there must be something to it.

An interesting side note: Her husband is called Richard Wagner, but he doesn't have anything to do with music Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 am

Update: She'll be receiving the prize tomorrow. According to the news, she seems remarkably un-excited about it. If I were to receive any sort of Nobel Prize, I'd probably run around with a big grin on my face, but she seems to take it as "business as usual". Very strange! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Herta Mueller? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herta Mueller?   Herta Mueller? Empty

Back to top Go down

Herta Mueller?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: