Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kurt Vonnegut

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Kurt Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Late to the game, I just got my first taste of Kurt Vonnegut through reading Slaughterhouse Five. I thought this book was amazing, as it blends sci-fi, history, modern literature and philosophy for the sake of telling a better story. So many sentences and ideas stand out, and so many connections can be made. I am now a fan, and plan to read many more of his books.

Anyone else read any of his books?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kurt Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm

I really liked Slaughterhouse Five, and I haven't read much science-fiction. I think the history and philosophy elements are what did it for me.

I plan on working through all of Kurt Vonnegut's works this year or next; his books are relatively short, anyway. I think his first is Cat's Eye, right?

Last edited by Emmeline on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kurt Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Everybody tells me he is amazing, but I haven't read much of his work so far. Maybe I'll read some of it in the summer. My reading list is quite long already, but then again, if the books are short, it shouldn't be a problem Smile Science Fiction, is it? I'm not overly familiar with the genre, to be perfectly honest, my only contact with it so far was via Star Trek. Oh, and earlier this year I read a collection of science fiction short stories, which I liked very much.

Hm... I'll just pop over to Amazon and see what they charge...
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey Laura

Vonnegut's book is hard to describe...it has a science fiction element (a form of time travel, and aliens who can see in the fourth dimension, are involved, but telling you that won't really give you an idea about what the book is. It isn't science fiction in the sense of Isaac Asimov or Star Trek or anything. It is also a book about war, or anti-war, and about dealing with death. The book is definitely genre bending, I'd love to hear your take if you pick it up.

FYI, the way I like to buy books is to use amazon to find the book, read the reviews, etc, then find it used on Ebay. Usually the shipping is more expensive than the book, but I have gotten plenty for $5-$7 used from ebay that would have cost $10-$12 on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kurt Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 7:04 pm

The only thing I've ready by him is the short story "Harrison Bergeron", which I absolutely loved. I look forward to reading some more of Vonnegut's work once I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kurt Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Rhea wrote:
The only thing I've ready by him is the short story "Harrison Bergeron", which I absolutely loved. I look forward to reading some more of Vonnegut's work once I get the chance.

I haven't read his short stories yet, but I've heard they're good. Welcome to the Monkey House is on my To-Read list, and it's a collection of his short stories.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kurt Vonnegut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kurt Vonnegut   Kurt Vonnegut Empty

Back to top Go down

Kurt Vonnegut
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: