Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Harping about Eye Color

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Harping about Eye Color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 12:04 pm

Sure. Thanks a lot!! I think it's going to be great! Wink
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:37 am

LuthienT wrote:
I like it.
And I'm dying to read your updated version of Witch Tourniquet, Aki. Can you send it over? Puh-leasse?

I'll send it to you when I have some things sorted out. I have to work on slowing the pacing of my novel in the beginning, changing the name of the villlage, and apparently I have to be aware of how I describe the school, although I think no matter what, if you have a school for witches people are going to think Harry Potter, even though they shouldn't because HP wasn't the first series to do that. It was the Worst Witch that was the first to use schools for witches.

I want you to read the finalized version before I send the rest off to you.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/

PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:57 am

I like it.
And I'm dying to read your updated version of Witch Tourniquet, Aki. Can you send it over? Puh-leasse?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 pm

That works well! You acknowledge the eye color is strange, but don't constantly ponder it.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 pm

I basically put this:

Master Akilah's eyes seemed gentle enough, as strange and beautiful as they were, but Alice wasn't as trusting as she used to be.

Also, I did more research on violet eyes, and they're apparently just dark blue eyes...not literally purple.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:24 pm

It seems natural to question why someone would have violet eyes in the first place considering how rare they are. I've never even met anyone with that eye color! I don't remember what I thought when I read about Pippa's eyes, but I probably thought "Well, that's weird, but they do sound pretty."

You don't have to keep bringing up the violet eyes throughout the entire book or make it a big issue in your main character's thoughts, but it seems more realistic if the eye color is questioned at least once. Perhaps in a fly-by thought, similar to what I might have thought about Pippa's eyes?
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

PostSubject: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Yes, I will be coming here quite often to debrief about some of the feedback I am receiving to see what you guys think about some of the feedback.

One of my characters has violet eyes, and my beta reader finds it odd that my main character doesn't find it odd.

I don't harp on about the violet eyes because it's not important--and because Pippa in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy has violet eyes, and Gemma didn't find them unusual either.

I analyze literature, but I wasn't bothered by the fact that Gemma wasn't curious about Pippa's violet eyes. All I thought was: "Ooh...Pippa must have pretty eyes then because that is an uncommon eye color." That's all I thought. I wasn't annoyed that Gemma didn't question why her eyes were violet or any of that. Why would you question it anyway? It's uncommon, but the simple answer is that the person was born with violet eyes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harping about Eye Color   Harping about Eye Color Empty

Back to top Go down

Harping about Eye Color
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Archive-
Jump to: