Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Movie/Television Adaptations of Books

Go down 
+4
Talkatoast
Laura
BeautyBlitz
Zara Mikazuki
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Completely true. It is a nice movie, but it is not "P&P" anymore Smile We watched it in class, as one way of dealing with the novel.

Oh. And before I forget... Matthew MacFadyen = droolheart
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Solveig wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
Solveig wrote:
There are some adaptations that are simply wrong from beginning to end, such as the crap they made out of "Memoirs of a Geisha". For this belief, I have several reasons:
- If I want to make a movie out of a book, I try to keep close to the text, but the feel of the movie is an entirely different one (at least to me).
- If I want to make a movie about a world so specific and unfamiliar as the Geishas', I try and do my homework before making obvious, blatant mistakes - I have never, ever seen a movie that presented something in such a twisted, false way.

But most adaptations I have seen were very good. It seems as if movies made from Jane Austen novels could never go wrong, although I am convinced that Keira Knightley is too pretty to be a Lizzie Bennet. Also, I loved Bar Luhrman's "Romeo and Juliet", and "Of Mice and Men" with Jeremy Irons was painfully marvellous.

Keira Knightley was too pretty to be Lizzy, but I think she did a wonderful job, so I forgave her for that. Matthew McFayden was a brilliant Mr Darcy.

Oh dear, that is so true... "Oh yes, his misfortunes have been VERY great indeed!"

----

Guys, we need a drooling smilie.

Off to find more smilies.

----

Back on topic: I was really happy to see he was not some gorgeous guy, but rather plain. I wouldn't want Mr Darcy to be ridiculously beautiful, that would ruin it all.

Has anyone seen the Bollywood version, "Bride and Prejudice"?

First...I love your new avatar. Jane was cool...gosh I miss that show....second......
did you not see my requests for a light saber fighting smiley????? But the other ones you got are sweet!

foulmouth tee hee...gotta love this one

sick I guess this could work instead of a barfing smiley

brows I LOVE THE WIGGLY EYEBROWS!

reindeer2 RUDOLF!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 9:54 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:
Solveig wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
Solveig wrote:
There are some adaptations that are simply wrong from beginning to end, such as the crap they made out of "Memoirs of a Geisha". For this belief, I have several reasons:
- If I want to make a movie out of a book, I try to keep close to the text, but the feel of the movie is an entirely different one (at least to me).
- If I want to make a movie about a world so specific and unfamiliar as the Geishas', I try and do my homework before making obvious, blatant mistakes - I have never, ever seen a movie that presented something in such a twisted, false way.

But most adaptations I have seen were very good. It seems as if movies made from Jane Austen novels could never go wrong, although I am convinced that Keira Knightley is too pretty to be a Lizzie Bennet. Also, I loved Bar Luhrman's "Romeo and Juliet", and "Of Mice and Men" with Jeremy Irons was painfully marvellous.

Keira Knightley was too pretty to be Lizzy, but I think she did a wonderful job, so I forgave her for that. Matthew McFayden was a brilliant Mr Darcy.

Oh dear, that is so true... "Oh yes, his misfortunes have been VERY great indeed!"

----

Guys, we need a drooling smilie.

Off to find more smilies.

----

Back on topic: I was really happy to see he was not some gorgeous guy, but rather plain. I wouldn't want Mr Darcy to be ridiculously beautiful, that would ruin it all.

Has anyone seen the Bollywood version, "Bride and Prejudice"?

First...I love your new avatar. Jane was cool...gosh I miss that show....second......
did you not see my requests for a light saber fighting smiley????? But the other ones you got are sweet!

foulmouth tee hee...gotta love this one

sick I guess this could work instead of a barfing smiley

brows I LOVE THE WIGGLY EYEBROWS!

reindeer2 RUDOLF!!!!!!!!

Ooops. Hang on. I know I forgot something... weep1
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 9:57 pm

...like this? starwars
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisa Lynn wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
Jane wrote:
I agree with the BBC Pride and Prejudice, but not the BBC Jane Eyre. I couldn't even finish it. The Masterpiece Theatre version with Toby Stephens as Rochester, however, is one of my favorite movies. It was amazing.

I also liked the 1980s Scarlet Pimpernel movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour. It wasn't anything like the book, but I thought the characters were portrayed perfectly.

Speaking of books made into movies, I come bearing news: Dorian Gray will be made into a film starring Ben Barnes, Jane Eyre will be made starring Ellen Page, and Wuthering Higts will be made (although I don't know who's starring in it. I'm so excited!

Oh no!!! Dammit!!! Ben Barnes!?? Did you see the absolute FIASCO he was in Prince Caspian!? Please NO! Jane Eyre with Ellen Page sounds pretty cool. Wuthering Heights? Intriguing -- where did you find out?

So, Lillian, I take it you didn't like Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian? A lot of people seemed to like him, although it may be because he's good looking and has an accent. (But seriously, I'm not smitten with Ben)

Anyways, I can't wait for these movies! Any news when they're coming out?

Maybe I'm a weirdo, Lynn, but seriously, he was supposed to be a child king. Around 13. And he was NOT supposed to have the hots for Susan. Pathetic!! He marries a star's daughter!! There were so many false things in there, I didn't even bother finishing it. Basically the three older siblings spent their entire time acting like idiots and killing people. I was like, WhAT!?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 10:02 pm

LuthienT wrote:
Louisa Lynn wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
LuthienT wrote:

Speaking of books made into movies, I come bearing news: Dorian Gray will be made into a film starring Ben Barnes, Jane Eyre will be made starring Ellen Page, and Wuthering Higts will be made (although I don't know who's starring in it. I'm so excited!

Oh no!!! Dammit!!! Ben Barnes!?? Did you see the absolute FIASCO he was in Prince Caspian!? Please NO! Jane Eyre with Ellen Page sounds pretty cool. Wuthering Heights? Intriguing -- where did you find out?

So, Lillian, I take it you didn't like Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian? A lot of people seemed to like him, although it may be because he's good looking and has an accent. (But seriously, I'm not smitten with Ben)

Maybe I'm a weirdo, Lynn, but seriously, he was supposed to be a child king. Around 13. And he was NOT supposed to have the hots for Susan. Pathetic!! He marries a star's daughter!! There were so many false things in there, I didn't even bother finishing it. Basically the three older siblings spent their entire time acting like idiots and killing people. I was like, WhAT!?

Ben Barnes is... not ugly by any means, but I didn't think he was that great as Caspian. I hold Narnia near and dear to my heart, and the movies tick me off. Have you all ever seen me angry? You should have seen the hissy fit I threw in the theater after we watched Prince Caspian. The BOY is a BOY, not a twenty-some-year old man. Susan, though she is a slut, NEVER kissed Caspian. There wasn't a macho tension thing between Peter and Caspian either, because Caspian respected Peter's power. TICKED ME OFF. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Kelsey wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
Louisa Lynn wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
LuthienT wrote:

Ben Barnes is... not ugly by any means, but I didn't think he was that great as Caspian. I hold Narnia near and dear to my heart, and the movies tick me off. Have you all ever seen me angry? You should have seen the hissy fit I threw in the theater after we watched Prince Caspian. The BOY is a BOY, not a twenty-some-year old man. Susan, though she is a slut, NEVER kissed Caspian. There wasn't a macho tension thing between Peter and Caspian either, because Caspian respected Peter's power. TICKED ME OFF. Evil or Very Mad

Susan and Caspian kissed in the movie? Ick, that's so wrong. I didn't watch the movie, you know, my dislike for fantasy books/movies. I hate it when they change something good and turn it into a different thing.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 10:48 pm

I love watching good book movies, because it's easier on the mind than reading and lets you see another's imagination at work. I get angry, though, when it's not a good book movie and some vital element of the book is changed to Hollywood it up-- Prince Caspian is a perfect example. To loyal Narnia readers, the kiss being taken out would not only be okay, it would be great. But the people who have never read Prince Caspian see the kiss and think that's cute, and like it; that's the main thing they remember. It bothers me that they get such a grossly misinterpreted version of the book because their content with the movie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 2:24 pm

I know! It's horrible. People are going to look back and I have a feeling that of all the fantasy book adaptions (LOTR, HP, Narnia, Eragon) Narnia and Eragon are going to be the worst.
And all because of some idiot scriptwriter who doesn't have enough brains to know that CS Lewis' version is not to be tampered with!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Movie/Television Adaptations of Books - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie/Television Adaptations of Books
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Other-
Jump to: