Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Translating Shakespeare

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Translating Shakespeare Empty
PostSubject: Translating Shakespeare   Translating Shakespeare EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 pm

So last week, a friend of mine came over to rehearse for Much Ado about Nothing. We realized that some parts of the German translation were completely incomprehensible to us, so we grabbed the original English version - and lo and behold, suddenly things got much clearer. I found that realization fascinating: That a text could be more comprehensible in a foreign language than its counterpart in my mother tongue.

I often find that texts - for lack of a better description - feel different in my two primary languages. It's the same with French and Spanish, but since I am not nearly as fluent in either language, the effect is not as marked. So it seems to me that languages not only have different levels of precision, but also different emotions connected to textual utterances... if I get too linguistic-y on you, let me know... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Translating Shakespeare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translating Shakespeare   Translating Shakespeare EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:32 pm

So many members here can speak and write more than one language fluently. I wish I could. Hell, it's bad enough I struggle with English sometimes. And I'm supposed to be a writer. Razz

You will never get too linguistic-y on us, Laura. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Translating Shakespeare
Page 1 of 1