Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Venetia by Georgette Heyer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Venetia by Georgette Heyer Empty
PostSubject: Venetia by Georgette Heyer   Venetia by Georgette Heyer EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 pm

I have just finished "Venetia" by Georgette Heyer. It's a re-read, technically, but I still wanted to post my two cents about it. Again, we're talking about the audiobook read by Richard Armitage, which adds to its charm.

The novel - another typical Regency novel, except that it was first published in 1958 - tells the story of Venetia, an uncommonly liberated heroine. She is an orphan of 25 years and lives at Undershaw with her disabled brother Aubrey. One day, she meets Lord Jasper Damerel, who is generally known to be a scoundrel and a seducer of respectable women.

Of course, he isn't - at least, he's not truly wicked. He is extremely attractive, though, and the tension between Venetia and Damerel is highly charged from the very onset. Even if the actual actions are quite chaste, there are many situations that openly point towards sex.

The novel is saved from being the Regency equivalent of Twilight by the fact that Venetia actually has some personality. She is stubborn, hot-headed and warm-hearted, and very honest. Also, however, she is sometimes extremely dense, and I frequently caught myself saying things like "What the hell are you waiting for?!"

Also, the language is quite captivating. Heyer knows how to use language to fake Regency - sometimes I found myself almost believing that the text was much older than it actually is. That is what sets the novel apart from the typical cheesy romance novel (the ones with the half-naked people on the cover).

It's classy chick lit, really. Girls - enjoy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

Venetia by Georgette Heyer
Page 1 of 1