Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Book Recommendations

Go down 
+6
Louisa
Paul
Laura
caring carer
GuardianSaiyoko
BeautyBlitz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Book Recommendations 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Book Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:04 am

Here is a thread to recommend all those books you think everyone should read.

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
"Wizards First Rule" is the first of the 11 novel series.

Anything by Dean Koontz is great but I suggest you start with one of the following titles
Strangers
Watchers
Dark Rivers of the Heart
False Memory
From the Corner of His Eye
One Door Away From Heaven

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Eragon
Eldest
Brisinger

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
Outlander is the first novel in the series.

I am David by Anne Holm
They Cage the Animals at Night by ? (I forget)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine

study

Last edited by BeautyBlitz on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 am

I'm glad to see Sword of Truth and the Outlander series on your list, Beauty! I think the Outlander series are the only romance I've ever actually liked.

As anyone who knows me knows, I would recommend everything Mercedes Lackey has ever written to anyone living, dead, or currently in a form of limbo.

I would also recommend the following authors:
Terry Pratchett
Carl Hiaasen
Sara Gruen
Khaled Hosseini
Robin McKinley
Robin Hobb
Andre Norton
Anne McCaffrey

I haven't read a great deal of Dean Koontz, but I have read some because he's my mother's favourite author. Two books of his I particularly liked that didn't make a list yet were Seize the Night and Fear Nothing.

Come to think of it, although it's been while since I read anything by him, I also thought Clive Cussler's books were great.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 am

I really loved the Sword of Truth series, my brother and I both read it at the same time and he bought me the last one in the series last Christmas.

I have got stuck on the Outlander series but may get back to it later.

I have just read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and couldn't put it dowm! I started it on a 9 hour night shift and finished it when I got home! Best book I have read like that in a long time.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 2:10 pm

My very own list of marvellous books to read (constantly updated and may therefore be edited multiple times):

1) Children‘s / Teen‘s fiction:
Lewis Carroll, Alice‘s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
Morris Gleitzman, Two weeks with the Queen
Kerry Greenwood, Journey to Eureka
Melina Marchetta, Looking for Alibrandi
Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

2) Fiction

Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club
Amy Tan, The Bonesetter‘s Daughter
Kathryn Harrison, A Visit from the Foot Emancipation Society
Tracy Chevalier, The Virgin Blue
Friedrich Dürrenmatt, The Quarry
David Malouf, Remembering Babylon
Boris Vian, I spit on your graves
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never let me go
Alice Walker, The Color Purple
Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front
Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice
F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men
Jane Austen, Sense & Sensibility
Kate Grenville, The Secret River
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
Dorothy Porter, The Monkey‘s Mask
Jules Verne, Around the World in Eighty Days
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes / Return of Sherlock Holmes / Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
Thomas Mann, Death in Venice
Pearl S. Buck, Pavilion of Women
Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
Anthony O‘Neill, The Lamplighter
Jules Verne, Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Rosalind Miles, I, Elizabeth

3) Biographies
Mineko Iwasaki, Geisha of Gion
Frank McCourt, Angela‘s Ashes
Li Cunxin, Mao‘s Last Dancer

4) Drama
Jack Davis, The Dreamers
Lisa Loomer, The Waiting Room
Arthur Miller, The Crucible
Friedrich Dürrenmatt, The Visit
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm

I just finished reading "Confessor" by Terry Goodkind, the last book (so far) of this series. All in all it was very good, but unfortunately some of that "preaching and pontificating" I had ranted about in other posts is very prevalent in spots. The character of Richard can be very, very, long-winded.

As far as novels to recommend? An excellent series you might want to check out is the "Camulod Chronicles" by Jack Whyte. It is a retelling of the Arthurian legend, based more in actual history than in fantasy. The first book is "The Skystone". The concluding novel, which came out in paperback not too long ago, is "The Eagle". Highly recommended.

I am also a big fan of the "Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R. R. Martin. The scope and detail of these novels is staggering, and the characters are all incredible. It is heads and shoulders above most other fantasy series. Unfortunately, the author is only four novels into it, and he is taking his sweet time in releasing the fifth. Still, if you start reading this series, it will grab you.

"The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan is also excellent, but unfortunately the author died before the last novel in the series could be completed. Supposedly another author, one hand-picked by Jordan (who had known he was dying), is going to finish it, but who know how it will turn out, or when it will be released.

Anything by Neil Gaiman is also good, especially "Neverwhere".

That's it for now. I may be back with more.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 pm

I have just finished listerning to an unabridged recording of The Reader by Bernard Schlink and thought it was excellent! Highly recommended!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Another recommendation: Bought and read "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" yesterday, and thought it was fantastic - very depressing, but gentle and warm. Love it. Definite Must-Read (at least if you plan on watching the movie).
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 6:53 am

Finally, after months (weeks? whatever) of not reading books (with the exception of schoolbooks) my friend was kind enough to lend me a great book called "Hard Love" by Ellen Wittlinger. I love it so far and it's urging me to create a zine of my own.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 am

I have been fortunate to have read some really good books lately.

Diva's Don't Knit by Gil McNeil was so laugh out loud funny and I have just started the sequel which is as good too.
Thats Needles and Pearls.

I also enjoyed Marked by PC & Kirsten Cast very much and just got the next one Betrayed in the series too. I know is a YA and about vampyres but I have really enjoyed it.

I also read The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts. Morrigan's Cross. Dancing The Gods and Valley of silence which I couldn't put down at all till I have read them.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 9:53 pm

I am rereading "Lord of the Flies" at the moment, because it's one of the novels that we often use in school. I am so taken in by it, I love it, I can hardly put it down. Definite must-read!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 am

As I have said in the "Damn, I hate being alone" thread, I'm hooked on "The Blood Confession" by Alisa M. Libby. I must buy it. Better tell daddy-o.Book Recommendations 0525477322.02.LZZZZZZZ
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Les Miserables! I'm reading it now. It's a very good book. Jean Valjean is one of my new favorite characters!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Book Recommendations 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Wild Cat by Laura Black

Catorina has the nightmare so many women fear: on her very wedding night she discovers that her husband is really a stranger-a drunkard, a sadist. She flees into the night, hides among gypsies, witnesses a murder. Now she is hunted by two adversaries. To whom can she turn? Her parents? No-they feel her marriage to Lord Carnmore is ideal. To Benjie the gypsy boy? Perhaps even to Sir Richard Grant, who now occupies Cat's old ancestral home. No-she's sure he loathes her as she does him. But she must find help somehow or she will be either dead or a prisoner in a hideous, perverted marriage.

Set in the Scottish Chighlands in the mid-nineteenth century, Wild Cat has all the drama of love, violence, and mystery and all the suspense and surprising-even shocking-turns of events that have made Laura Black a rising star among popular fiction writers today.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, that is the write up on the inside flap of the dust jacket. Now, permit me my two cents.

As many of you know, I'm not much into "romance" novels. This is like a romance/adventure far more adventure than romance. I re read this book often. I think many here would greatly enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Laura wrote:
Another recommendation: Bought and read "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" yesterday, and thought it was fantastic - very depressing, but gentle and warm. Love it. Definite Must-Read (at least if you plan on watching the movie).

I read it on Wikipedia a few weeks before the movie came out. I really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 12:09 pm

I finished Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (by Fannie Flagg) on Friday.

Recommended! It has that small town, folksy feel which I love. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 3:42 pm

I am now just finishing up "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. It is a fictional take on the actual Franklin Expedition of 1845 to look for the Northwest Passage. There were two ships involved, the Terror and the Erebus, and neither ship, nor any survivors, were ever found. Skeletal remains believed to be sailors from these ships were found many years later. Dan Simmons spins an engrossing tale using many of the actual people known to be involved, depicting their hardships in the brutal cold with spoiled rations, along with a mysterious creature out on the ice that is picking them off one by one.

It is a thick book, over 900 pages long, but I have long found Dan Simmons to be an excellent writer, and this book is no exception.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Paul wrote:
I am now just finishing up "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. It is a fictional take on the actual Franklin Expedition of 1845 to look for the Northwest Passage. There were two ships involved, the Terror and the Erebus, and neither ship, nor any survivors, were ever found. Skeletal remains believed to be sailors from these ships were found many years later. Dan Simmons spins an engrossing tale using many of the actual people known to be involved, depicting their hardships in the brutal cold with spoiled rations, along with a mysterious creature out on the ice that is picking them off one by one.

It is a thick book, over 900 pages long, but I have long found Dan Simmons to be an excellent writer, and this book is no exception.

That sounds really interesting - it is fictionalized, but authentic, I guess?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Laura wrote:
Paul wrote:

That sounds really interesting - it is fictionalized, but authentic, I guess?

The premise is authentic. There really was a Franklin Expedition that sailed into the arctic looking for the Northwest Passage in 1845 and then disappeared with no known survivors making it out of there. The novel is a fictionalized "what if" type of a story. It is a very good read and highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 3:10 pm

I have now finished "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck, and I still love it. It's very emotional, and really draws the reader into it. Especially the sad story of O-Lan touched me, while I had some trouble to sympathize with the protagonist Wang Lung, at least sometimes. But the title is well chosen, and the metaphor is employed throughout the novel. It can not be analysed by using technical methods, though. It needs emotions and empathy to be thoroughly understood, and that alone will open up the true meaning of the novel.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 8:33 pm

I finished The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak today. It's the story of a young German girl living with her foster parents, and it's narrated by Death himself.

I really loved it, and I cried at certain scenes.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:09 pm

I really recommend Candide by Voltaire to y'all. It's a complete satire on almost everything. It's hysterical at some points, but harsh at others. It's a very easy and short read--just 98ish pages, depending on the edition you get.

I read it in English, but I totally loved it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: