Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Julian's House by Judith Hawkes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Julian's House by Judith Hawkes Empty
PostSubject: Julian's House by Judith Hawkes   Julian's House by Judith Hawkes EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 6:59 am

A few weeks back, I went through my mother's bookshelf looking for new goodies. I found so many that I've been busy ever since. One of the nicer books I found was "Julian's House" by Judith Hawkes. The plot is simple: A married couple, both working for a paranormal investigation company, temporarily move into a reportedly haunted house to find out if there is in fact paranormal activity. It turns out there is, and quite a bit of it, but it is unsure (and remains unsure) whether the house itself is haunted, or whether one of the couple is (perhaps unintentionally) producing the results.

I think the book is not only for readers who believe in the paranormal, but also for skeptics. Its emphasis lies strongly on the unknown factors contributed by the human brain and imagination. While it doesn't exactly rule out the possibility that there is an actual ghost in the house, it definitely promotes the idea that the human brain may have capacities that are unknown to us yet. In this way, it is similar to Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House", which leaves the reader uncertain if the house is haunted, or if Eleanor is insane.

I really like the novel, but I'd only give it three stars, since I'm not sure it's a book for everyone.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Julian's House by Judith Hawkes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Julian's House by Judith Hawkes   Julian's House by Judith Hawkes EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 9:03 pm

You've made it sound interesting, but at this point I'm not sure I would go out and look for it. Thanks for the review, though!
Back to top Go down

Julian's House by Judith Hawkes
Page 1 of 1