Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson Empty
PostSubject: The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson   The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 pm

This is the second book of the "Millenium" trilogy, and the sequel to "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".

This book reads more like an action novel rather than a mystery novel, though a mystery is a major part of the plot. Once again we have Lisbeth Salander (one of the most interesting female characters I have read in a long, long time) and Mikael Blomkvist (misspelled I know) thrown, if not together, at least within shouting distance of one another as Lisbeth is suspected of three murders. Lisbeth goes into hiding and starts investigating while Blomkvist does his own investigation, convinced that Salander is innocent.

Salander's dark past is delved into, and we find out what "All That Evil", referred to but never explained in the first novel, is all about. There is also a "twist" which, I am ashamed to admit, took me by surprise. I should have seen it coming from a mile off. It is one of the most-used literary tricks in the book. And I missed it. Embarassed

All in all, this was a satisfying read, mostly because of the character of Lisbeth Salander. Sometimes it seems that the other characters (except for the villains), including Blomkvist, aren't really necessary at all. It makes me wonder if Larsson fell in love with his own creation. I have heard that can sometimes happen.

Looking forward to "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"!
Back to top Go down

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Review section-
Jump to: