Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Go down 

How did you like "Of Mice and Men"?
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_lcap0%Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_lcap0%Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_lcap33%Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_lcap67%Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck Empty
PostSubject: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck   Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:52 pm

It is one of my all-time favourite books; I have read it several times, and still I cry everytime. The story, to cut it short, is the following: George and Lennie are travelling through the Midwest, looking for jobs on a farm. Lennie is mentally disabled, and George takes care of him. When they both get a job on a farm, Lennie - who is exceptionally strong, and likes to pet things (which usually die in the process) - begins to like the farmer's wife, When he tries to pet her, she starts to scream, and he is so afraid that he kills her. George tries to save Lennie, but in the end has to realize that he will not be able to do it.

The main attraction about this novel is the unusual friendship between George and Lennie. I believe there has hardly ever been a friendship between two literary characters that was so real and so deep as that which George and Lennie share. Also, Steinbeck proved great sensitivity in portraying Lennie. He manages to present us with a mentally disabled character who is believable and likeable, without ever ridiculing him. George is the perfect counterpart: He treats Lennie as a fully valuable human being, he is never condescending or patronizing - at least not in the negative sense of the word. Unfortunately, goodness does not equal innoncence.

A definite must-read!
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Review section-
Jump to: