Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Secret River by Kate Grenville

Go down 
2 posters

How did you like "The Secret River"?
The Secret River by Kate Grenville I_vote_lcap0%The Secret River by Kate Grenville I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Secret River by Kate Grenville I_vote_lcap0%The Secret River by Kate Grenville I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
The Secret River by Kate Grenville I_vote_lcap100%The Secret River by Kate Grenville I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 2 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

The Secret River by Kate Grenville Empty
PostSubject: The Secret River by Kate Grenville   The Secret River by Kate Grenville EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:28 pm

The approach that Grenville takes in this novel is unusual: We are presented with a hero that is not heroic at all. William Thornhill, a poor waterman on the Thames, is sent to the newly opened convict colony Australia for smuggling. There, he and his family have to adapt to the new surroundings, new challenges and new people.

This novel did not fulfil my expectations. I expected a light novel with a happy ending. What I got was much more than that: I got a rich novel, full of life and colours, immensely intensive, with amazing pictures that lingered for a long time after I had finished reading.

The story is a dark one, of a man who is trying to discover his own identity in a strange place, and who has to decide whether he wants to be good or evil. He succeeds in doing so - but in a way that the reader does not expect, or at least hopes to be mistaken about his own asssumptions.

For people interested in colonial history, this novel is one of the rare jewels.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Kathryn
Kathryn

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-06

The Secret River by Kate Grenville Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Secret River by Kate Grenville   The Secret River by Kate Grenville EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:10 am

Kate Grenville is very good at challenging her readers. William Thornhill is a complex character who makes his choices based on survival, rather than wrong or right.

I find that Grenville's characters are often very complex - for example Doug Cheeseman from "The Idea of Perfection" a quiet, timid man who cannot live down his father's reputation of a national hero, or Joan from "Joan Makes History" who escapes from her boring life by imagining herself to be various historical figures. However, her most famous and best loved character (at least in Australia) is Lillian from "Lillian's Story" . Lillian is loosely based on Bea Miles, a famous Sydney eccentric of no fixed address who earned money by quoting Shakespeare to passersby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.whowasabigailcarter.blogspot.com

The Secret River by Kate Grenville
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Review section-
Jump to: