Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next Buddy Read

Go down 
+2
March Hare
Kelsey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:57 am

I was just wondering when everyone would be able to do a new buddy read. There is NO pressure to finish Hunchback. I just wanted to get an idea of what time everyone will have finished (or given up) and be ready for a new book.
Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:11 am

I missed the last buddy read Sad. But I'm ready when you guys are. Did you have any books in mind?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 2:22 pm

We will have to try to time the next one a little better. Everyone has a pretty full plate right now with homework and other activities. I am all for another one if we can agree on what would be a good time to have one. Possibly Christmas break? Let me know.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 12:27 am

It doesn't really matter to me, although I think most of us (Americans ,at least) have a Thanksgiving break that's a lot closer (Thanksgiving is the 26th), but I don't know how easy that would be for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm

After reading Laura's thread about Sherlock Holmes, I have come to realize that I have never read a single thing by Doyle. Maybe, and I am just throwing this out for discussion, we can go with a Sherlock Holmes novel for the next buddy read, if others enjoy that sort of novel and we can find the right time to do it. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:09 pm

That sounds like a wonderful idea!
Why didn't I think of that.
I'm all for it .... what do the others think?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm

I agree. Good idea, Paul!

A Sherlock Holmes novel would work well.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Howl wrote:
I agree. Good idea, Paul!

A Sherlock Holmes novel would work well.

IN FAVOUR! bouncy
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Okay, if no one has any objections, then a Sherlock Holmes novel it is.

Now, all we need to do is figure out two things: which novel to read, and what would be a good time for everybody to start? I can start anytime, and since I haven't read a single Doyle story, I'll go with any novel. Ideas?
Back to top Go down

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 2:06 pm

The only Sherlock Novels I read are Hound of the Baskervilles and Sign of Four. I am not in any way opposed to rereading them, they are both awesome. I love Sherlock short stories, though.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I think "The Sign of Four" would be most appropriate - it is the second novel, but the first one, "A Study in Scarlet" is still a very rough sketch of Holmes. By the second novel, the characters of both Holmes and Watson have begun to settle. Also, the second novel presents a case that is much more typically "Holmesian".
Back to top Go down

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:12 am

*Raises hand* .... SECONDED! Wink
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 12:04 pm

If this is good for everyone else then it is good for me. Now, when would be a good time for everybody to start? As I stated, I can start anytime, but I know some of you have school/homework obligations. Let us know what works for you.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:18 pm

Any time, in fact, I'm halfway into it already.
Back to top Go down

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Me too, but then again, I'm not sure if I can continue in Dec -- I'll be really busy then.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Freya wrote:
Me too, but then again, I'm not sure if I can continue in Dec -- I'll be really busy then.

Don't worry, the novel is rather short, and easy to read. Besides, it's hard to put down... book2
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:51 pm

DesertQueen wrote:
Freya wrote:

Don't worry, the novel is rather short, and easy to read. Besides, it's hard to put down... book2

All right, then maybe we can start this week. At only a little more than a hundred pages or so, it is a short book, and with Thanksgiving break coming for myself and the other American readers, this looks like the best way to go. So, unless there are any objections, we can start this week. If this will prove difficult for anybody, let us know.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 am

All right, I've got the book. How does Tuesday sound for everyone?
Back to top Go down

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 am

Good for me.
How many people are participating this time?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:31 am

I guess whoever wants to join on Tuesday, and anyone who sees it after that and decides they want to participate.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 12:13 am

It works for me. I'm nearly finished with "Crime and Punishment". I should finish it tonight, in fact. So on Tuesday I can slide right into the Sherlock Holmes story.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 am

I already read it. Sad Oh well, I'll participate some other time. It's a great novella.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:29 am

Nolofinwe wrote:
I already read it. Sad Oh well, I'll participate some other time. It's a great novella.

No problem, you can still participate in the discussions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:55 am

I thought I would be able to participate, but I'm reading multiple other books at the moment, and I doubt I have the ability to add one more to the list.

I'll try to catch the next buddy read, though!
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:59 am

I am definitely going to participate, though it'll be a late start. This will make my mom thrilled. She's wanted me to read Sherlock Holmes since forever, and I've always planned to, but I never got around to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Next Buddy Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Buddy Read   Next Buddy Read Empty

Back to top Go down

Next Buddy Read
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: