Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Books you MUST read.

Go down 
+8
Zara Mikazuki
Tourterelle
Jane
denizenofevil
Laura
Goldfish
BeautyBlitz
Cereal P!NK
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Cereal P!NK
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Cereal P!NK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Books you MUST read. Empty
PostSubject: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:48 pm

List the books you think are MUST-reads for any reader above the age of 12.. Very Happy

And while you're at it tell me your favourite genre.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Books you MUST read. 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 pm

My favorite genre is suspense thrillers a la Dean Koontz (my favorite author)
MUST read titles under his name include the following

Strangers
Watchers
One Door Away From Heaven
Dark Rivers of the Heart *may want to wait until 14+)
False Memory
Lightning

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind is a MUST!
"Wizards First Rule" is the first of the 11 novel series.

I am David by Anne Holm

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

They Cage the Animals at Night by ?(I forget) Watch out for that one, read the paperback version only. Hardcovers hurt the walls when thrown with great force. This book will make you so mad you will cry.

Last edited by BeautyBlitz on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Books that are on my MUST-READ list would have to be:

Star-Crossed, by Linda Collison.

The Red Necklace, by Sarah Gardner.

Born Confused, by Tanuja (and I won't write down her last name, because I always spell it wrong.)

Anyway, the first two are Historical Fiction, which is my favorite genre with Fantasy at a close second. The second one (my lastest favorite) is about the French Revolution. It's a very, very interesting read. The author suffered from dyslexia, but she has the most amazing writing style I've seen. Her sense of imagery is just... Shocked

I liked Star-Crossed and make it a must read, because of two things. One of them is that it's the most well-researched novel I've read in forever. I mean, she desribes everything to a T. She researched everything so well. Second thing is that the main character, Patricia, starts out really annoying. You can't stand her, but if you stick through with her, you realize that an author doesn't have to write a second book in order to redeem their character(s). She makes Patricia seem so real, from learning her lesson, to going through new experiences, to growing up. The first two are in an upcoming trilogy and I can't wait.

The third book is, if you've seen me recommend books on Y!A you'll know, the only book I've read more than once. Dimple Lala also is very lifelike. She also learns, but what I liked about the book is that she grows up but doesn't grow up too much that it seems unrealistic. I mean, come on, we don't completely change in one summer. That's what I loved about it. Definitely worth the second read.

I forgot about my fantasy MUST-READ list:

The Bartimaeus Trilogy. I don't understand why these books aren't as famous as others. They're quite the read.

And The Abhorsen Series. I read both of these series in the same year and it's been awhile since that year, but I remember how I had to read this series. I just had to finish it. I like Sabriel. She was my favorite character when I was 13. Again, I don't know why this series isn't as well-known as others.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Don't have my list on the laptop...

But, a few great novels I have read recently:

- Steinbeck, "Of Mice and Men"
- Fitzgerald, "The Great Gatsby"
- McCourt, "Angela's Ashes"
- Tan, "The Joy Luck Club"
- Hawthorne, "The Scarlet Letter"

Hm. Reading that, I realize I love my job too much... The kids are currently working on the American Dream, and promptly, I read nothing else. Born a teacher. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:50 pm

You're a teacher?! i never would have guessed. For some reason, i thought it took years of schooling to be able to become a teacher and so i guess I thought you had to be 30 or something.

I liked Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah and The Glass Castle by someone but i forgot their name.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

My favorite genre is historical fiction. Some of the books I think everyone must read are:

Farenheit 451 -- Ray Bradbury
Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Bronte
To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee
The Graves Are Not Yet Full -- Bill Berkeley
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn -- Betty Smith
The Scarlet Letter -- Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Scarlet Pimpernel -- Emmuska Orczy
The Green Mile -- Stephen King
The Picture of Dorian Gray -- Oscar Wilde
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn -- Mark Twain
Wuthering Heights -- Emily Bronte

They were all awesome.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 pm

I am actually still a student. My final exams are next year, but I am currently teaching a group of young adults to prepare them for their Abitur. I have been teaching for a couple of years already, though, mostly private tutoring and substituting in primary schools. Today was the first English class, and it worked fine, we get along well Smile I'm pretty confident I'll be able to save their butts from failing the exams.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
Gemma Doyle Trilogy, by Libba Bray
The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry (Other short-stories of his, too)
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Last edited by Tourterelle on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 pm

Wow...lots of cool suggestions out there. Anyways, here's my list:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Inferno by Dante Aligheri
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (yes, I know it isn't a "book", but it's still freaking awesome)
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (yes, I know that this is a middle-school book, but I still love it--nice spin on a fairy tale)
Vampire Chronicles (the series) by Anne Rice (a true Vampire author)

Hmm...there's more, and I'll come edit later...
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 am

At the moment reading alsorts of books but love horror especially Stephen King and John Saul.

I have over 400 books listed to be read far too long to put on here!

flower
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:52 am

My favorite genre is fantasy, although I enjoy other types almost as much. The following are my personal favorites. Although I enjoyed the Cosmic (or Space) Trilogy by C.S. Lewis, it struck me as a book that not many people would like. I have my reasons for enjoying it, but it is the only book on the following list that I am not suggesting others to read. I'm not discouraging them from reading it, I'm just not promoting it since there is a good chance you will kill me afterward Wink.
War of the Worlds-H.G.Wells
1984-George Orwell
Animal Farm-George Orwell
Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury
Frankenstein-Mary Shelly
The Lord of the Rings-J.R.R.Tolkien
The Hobbit-J.R.R.Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia-C.S.Lewis
The Cosmic Trilogy-C.S.Lewis
A Tale of Two Cities-Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol-Charles Dickens.

From the above my all time favorites that stand out from the others are The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. Both are excellent books that are written by geniuses. Although the Chronicles of Narnia is aimed towards children, I see no reason why they cannot be enjoyed for the classics they are. They can be read by people over 12 and enjoyed just as much, if not more so.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 am

Must-read books from me include:

Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
I call it the Candle Series by Faria Stolarz
Stephen King's On Writing
Revision and Self-Editing by James Scott Bell
How NOT to Write a Novel--200 Ways
1984, Animal Farm, both by George Orwell
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Things Fall Apart by Achebe Chinua
Any books by Garth Nix
Any books by Diana Wynne Jones (I swear Rowling was reading her when she wrote HP.)
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Cereal P!NK
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Cereal P!NK

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Wow great lists you guys! Thank you.. cat
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:56 am

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I love you M I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books you MUST read.   Books you MUST read. Empty

Back to top Go down

Books you MUST read.