Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just what I was looking for...

Go down 
+5
Paul
Kelsey
Louisa
BeautyBlitz
Spec Tac
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Just what I was looking for... Empty
PostSubject: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 8:25 pm

My Name is Nick and I live in New England. I'm an aspiring writer and obsessive reader. I write all types of short stories and don't want to stick to any form, genre, or style. I've tossed around and sketched out many storyboards for a novel, but haven't yet set up to tackle writing one yet. I want to study the fundamentals a bit more.

But first, I thought I'd share a bit about what I read. I read to improve my literary perspective, and hopefully incorporate a bit of everything I find interesting into my own work. Like music, I don't stick to any one genre. I'll read pretty much anything except romance (just as I listen to pretty any music except Country). Some of my favorite authors include Irvine Welsh, Hubert Selby Jr., SOME Chuck Phalinuk (sp?), and Isaac Asimov. BUT, I have only really seriously focused on my reading and writing pasion for about a year or so now, so I have a long list of authors I want to read. I also enjoy a lot of the independent publications, such as one called Barrelhouse, which is a publication of short stories and poetry from independent, non-famous writers. Right now I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, and just finished The Metamorphisis by Franz Kafka (but only skimmed through a lot of the professional literary interpretaion that consisted of the bulk of the book).

In addition, I usually have some sort of non-fiction book on the subject of writing going on at the same time. Right now, it is Ray Bradbury's Zen and the Art of Writing, which is okay and seems to be best used as something to read a short excerpt from before beginning to write, as a type of motivation. My next project in this area is to go through the college text book called Writing Fiction, by Janet Burroway. This was recommended to me by a published author, and is used in most professional writing courses. The seventh edition is the newest and retails for about $80, but I was able to pick up the sixth edition used for only 7 bucks from Amazon, and have heard it is nearly identical. If anyone else was interested in picking up a copy and going through the book together, sort of like an online class but without the cost, please let me know - I think it would be a great writing project.

Last but not least, I would love to share my writing online and have it critiqued. Not sure if there is a formal group or forum for that on here, but would love to participate as both a writer and critiquer in the group for short stories!

This sounds like a great place to be, looking forward to it. And please again let me know if you're interested in developing some sort of schedule or plan for working through a project such as the book I mentioned above, or anything else in the way of a writing project.

Thanks everyone, thats enough rambling from me for now!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Just what I was looking for... 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Geez Spec, if I would have known you were so long winded I don't think I would have invited you. lol! Just kidding. It's nice to have you aboard!

bouncy bouncy

The creature formerly known as BeautyBlitz!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey, Nick! Wow, what an introductory speech. I still read it all, though. Laughing
Welcome to the Literary Cabinet, or as we like to call it, LC! clap2 You can call me Louisa, by the way. I hope you find this place to your liking. We're all great friends here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi, Nick. I don't think I've met you before. I'm Kelsey.
Welcome to the forum. And yes, this is a literary forum, and we do post and critique writing, as well as discuss other literary things; just not as much as we goof off.
Back to top Go down
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Haha yah that was very long sorry - just had a lot going thru my mind at that moment! Nice meeting everyone.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Welcome aboard, Nick. Don't be shy about posting samples of your work, or anything at all that strikes your interest. We have a wide variety of categories and threads to choose from. I hope you enjoy yourself here!

On B&A, I am known as "Unkurg".

Last edited by Paul on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Nice to meet you, Nick! I'm Nicholle (known as Tourterelle in Yahoo! Answers).
We're very open and chatty here, but we do read and write. Feel free, of course, to post work. I look forward to reading it!

Also, Nick, if you ever want to log into the chatbox, just click "Log in" in the upper right-hand corner. There might be people logged in but unfortunately, their messages aren't visible unless you log in.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 1:40 am

Hi, Nick. I'm Allison (sometimes referred to as Jane, Aly on Y!A). I've seen you before on Y!A, but we haven't officially met.

I skimmed your introduction (I'll read the whole thing later, I promise), and you seem like a cool guy. It'll be nice having you here.
Back to top Go down
Tezcatlipoca
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Tezcatlipoca

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: :P   Just what I was looking for... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 pm

banana , Nick
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Hey Nick! Welcome to the LC! I hope you love this place as much as we do ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just what I was looking for...   Just what I was looking for... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just what I was looking for...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Welcome :: Introduce yourselves here :)-
Jump to: