Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Woody Allen

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Woody Allen   Woody Allen EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 am

So. After the success of "The Crucible", I've been asked to play a role in a Woody-Allen-play in autumn, "A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy". I wondered if anyone of you was familiar with Allen's work (since I have never read or seen anything by him, don't ask me why), and am now at a loss to understand all the subtleties in the text. What are your thoughts about Woody Allen? Is there any advice you'd like to give me?
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woody Allen   Woody Allen EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 am

I can't say that I'm a big fan of Woody Allen, although I liked some of his earlier films. He always struck me as being a bit on the pretentious side. Having said that, I will say that my favorite film of his is probably "Zelig".

Every review I have read of any of his movies always mentions the strong undercurrent of neurosis that permeates each character. His movies, for the most part, are about relationships and how nobody is really up to the task.

I don't know if this helps or not, Laura, but seeing as how you and your troupe overcame so much to get "The Crucible" off the ground and make it the success that it was I am sure you will bring what is needed to make "Sex Comedy" a successful and enjoyable experience.

Congrats and good luck! cheers
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woody Allen   Woody Allen EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Update: Rehearsal is slow, and the director had the chuzpe to tell me that there wasn't much acting skill involved in my playing a promiscuous slut. I was upset about this remark - partly because it was insulting, partly because I wish it was true. The closest to promiscuity in my life is alternately dreaming about Damian Lewis and Dominic Keating.

Anyway, we are meeting again tonight, and from then on I'll be rehearsing more or less all of August and September. I almost feel bad about what I am going to say next... My main partner quit, and I am actually happy about this. We are supposed to be having steaming sex on stage, and he is not the least sweaty of all people I know... or the least smelly. My new partner is much better clown

Besides, whatever people tell you: Rehearsing sex scenes is not erotic, not even with hot guys. An example?

Me: *moan*
He: *moanmoan&alittletext*
Director: Could you put your hands there?
He (taken aback): Sure.
Director: ...and nuzzle her neck?
He: Sure. Right.
Me: Last shave has been a while, huh?
He: Yes. *nuzzles neck*
Me: *stifles giggle, proceeds to passionate moaning*
Director: Could you do something about her breasts, perhaps?
He: Right. Like this?
Director: Yeah. That'll do.
Me: Ouch.
He: Oh. Sorry. Better?
Me: Fine, much better.
Director: The audience is supposed to see what you're doing. This soft thing will never do.
He: Oh, I see.
Me: Ouch! Look here, these things are firmly attached to my body. You will not be able to rip 'em off.
He: Sure?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woody Allen   Woody Allen EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Ah, Laura, the sacrifices you are making for your art! Laughing

In all honesty, I applaud you. You obviously take your work in the theatre very seriously, and I think that is a big reason why your past productions have gone so well. If I were an actor I don't think there would be anything harder than to portray sexual arousal when, in actuality, on stage in front of a ton of people, that is the last thing you are feeling. At least your partner for the scene is an upgrade from the last one. Still, something like that cannot be easy.

The next time the director says you don't have to act to play the slut tell him he would be a natural as the lead in a play about a man (is the director a man? I just realized you didn't specify) with a serious impotence problem. lol!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woody Allen   Woody Allen EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Paul wrote:

In all honesty, I applaud you. You obviously take your work in the theatre very seriously, and I think that is a big reason why your past productions have gone so well. If I were an actor I don't think there would be anything harder than to portray sexual arousal when, in actuality, on stage in front of a ton of people, that is the last thing you are feeling. At least your partner for the scene is an upgrade from the last one. Still, something like that cannot be easy.

The next time the director says you don't have to act to play the slut tell him he would be a natural as the lead in a play about a man (is the director a man? I just realized you didn't specify) with a serious impotence problem. lol!

After two performances, it appears that many of the audience agree that I am a natural slut.

I think I may have a serious problem with representing myself accurately to the world.

God, I wish I was a slut... or at least have any sex whatsoever. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woody Allen   Woody Allen EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Laura wrote:
Paul wrote:

After two performances, it appears that many of the audience agree that I am a natural slut.

I think I may have a serious problem with representing myself accurately to the world.

God, I wish I was a slut... or at least have any sex whatsoever. Rolling Eyes

I don't think you want to wish yourself to be a slut, but it seems your personal life is suffering with all the other activities you are involved in. In time, Laura, things will settle down, and you can have the personal life you feel is now lacking.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I think the rest of the LC sees you as an intelligent, capable woman who is involved in many creative activities. The audience for your play cannot know this. Actually, this is a testament to your acting ability that they are convinced you are a natural slut, as you say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Woody Allen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woody Allen   Woody Allen Empty

Back to top Go down

Woody Allen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Plays-
Jump to: