Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yeah...I couldn't get into it.

Go down 
+3
Jane
Laura
Talkatoast
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Yeah...I couldn't get into it. Empty
PostSubject: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Read Pride and Prejudice all the way through (total murder, believe me), and I couldn't get into it. When I speak lovingly about Pride and Prejudice, I speak of the movie. I mean, seriously, Austen is a crappy writer, in my opinion. She does way too much telling, has way too many wordy sentences, and barely describes anything. I liked her dialogue, but I couldn't enjoy it because the slush of telling narrative throughout the book.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:29 pm

That's a pity, really. But you know, it can't be everyone's cup of tea. That's why it can be counted as real literature, not teen junk Wink I know quite a few pieces of literature that people have recommended to me, and which I detested. Best example: The Tortilla Curtain. Oh, such a marvellous book, Laura, you have to read it, and you can do it in class, too! Needless to say, I didn't get past the first three chapters. Not even buying the audiobook for a ridiculous price helped - I put it on while gardening, listen to the first few chapters, and snap! I'm in Wonderland again, hugging George Clooney (or some other appropriately sexy male).

Or take Douglas Adams. "The Hitchhiker's Guide" is my brother's favourite book of all times, and he gave it to me while we were on vacation in Greece. I tried it. I really did. But somehow staring vaguely into space was more entertaining. I know it's supposed to be a grand literary achievement and all, but seriously. It's simply not funny.

As to Jane Austen, I guess you have to be that type of person. I like reading about all the itsy-bitsy details of this supper and that sewing session. I like the subtle irony. I like the characters (and their idiosyncrasies). Other people don't like that. It's life Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:33 pm

It's not a crime to dislike Jane Austen. I love her sense of irony, but I'm not a huge fan of some of her books. The writing isn't flawless. I do have to say, however, that Darcy is truly amazing.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 am

That's perfectly fine. I couldn't get into Harry Potter, and when I tell that to people they look at me like I have the plague. Laughing I'm just not a fantasy girl. I also couldn't stand Paulo Coehlo's "The Alchemist." I tried a few pages and was bored to tears. Razz
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Louisa Selene wrote:
That's perfectly fine. I couldn't get into Harry Potter, and when I tell that to people they look at me like I have the plague. Laughing I'm just not a fantasy girl. I also couldn't stand Paulo Coehlo's "The Alchemist." I tried a few pages and was bored to tears. Razz

Though I admit that is very strange (as in "strange-bordering-on-unheard-of"), I guess not everyone likes Harry Potter...
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Laura wrote:
Louisa Selene wrote:

Though I admit that is very strange (as in "strange-bordering-on-unheard-of"), I guess not everyone likes Harry Potter...

Exactly what I was going to say. It does seem weird, but not everyone has to enjoy Harry Potter, I suppose. To each her own.

How much of the HP series have you read, Louisa?
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Laura wrote:
Louisa Selene wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say. It does seem weird, but not everyone has to enjoy Harry Potter, I suppose. To each her own.

How much of the HP series have you read, Louisa?

I've tried countless times to get into Harry Potter. I always end up sleepy. What's worse, my uncle gave us Half-Blood Prince—neither of my siblings read—and I don't like Harry Potter, so it just lies here in the house somewhere. (Or it's gone now) I tried the first book a few times, couldn't get past one chapter, then tried Half-Blood Prince when it was brought to us. I gave up. headdesk
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 am

Louisa Asuka wrote:

I've tried countless times to get into Harry Potter. I always end up sleepy. What's worse, my uncle gave us Half-Blood Prince—neither of my siblings read—and I don't like Harry Potter, so it just lies here in the house somewhere. (Or it's gone now) I tried the first book a few times, couldn't get past one chapter, then tried Half-Blood Prince when it was brought to us. I gave up. headdesk

That's okay, I guess. Normally I would recommend trying all of the books before giving up, but Harry Potter is a rather lengthy series.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 am

Isn't it great that we can discuss what many of us consider greatest literary achievements, say we don't like them, and don't get virtually decapitated?
I feel your pain, I read the first one of Hitchhiker's Guide, only reason I finished it was because I thought the movie was quirky and cute. It ends oddly, too. I read a summary.

A pet peeve of mine is Stardust. I loved the movie, so a friend recommended the book. She loved it, I read two chapters and was absolutely baffled.

So sorry, Aki. Well, now that you're past that ... what else are you reading?

Last edited by Luthien on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Louisa Asuka wrote:

You have to be patient with Harry Potter. My brother didn't like it, and I practically had to sit on him to get him to finish the first book. Once he put the effort into reading the first he found that he really enjoyed it. There are just books for all of us that take a little more work that others to get into, and even then sometimes it doesn't work out.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm sorry you didn't like it, Aki. Well, at least you can say you read it!
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Kelsey wrote:
I'm sorry you didn't like it, Aki. Well, at least you can say you read it!

That's true! You always have that.

And since you didn't like it, you won't have to read it again.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 am

Kelsey wrote:
Louisa Asuka wrote:

You have to be patient with Harry Potter. My brother didn't like it, and I practically had to sit on him to get him to finish the first book. Once he put the effort into reading the first he found that he really enjoyed it. There are just books for all of us that take a little more work that others to get into, and even then sometimes it doesn't work out.

I just found out that we didn't lose the Harry Potter books. Gah, I guess I'll give it a try someday.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:07 pm

It's fine, Aki. Don't worry about it. At first, I found P&P difficult to get into, with the long windy sentences and all. Eventually, I came to like the description, but I understand how you'd be turned away by it. Austen's descriptions remind me a lot of Dickens' descriptions---especially in A Tale of Two Cities. I loved the description and detail, but sometimes it was confusing and difficult to follow. Quite a bit of it could be cut out and not much lost, in my opinion.

And Louisa--I think you should try HP again. If not for liking it, at least for knowing what is going on. That's the primary reason I recommend reading Twilight to everyone who asks me---so that they can understand the hype and what is going on in the current world and whatnot. HP was a worldwide phenomenon, so knowing a little bit about it is good.

Having said that, I need to finish book 4--Goblet of Fire! I can't believe I haven't finished the series! I probably have to start over now---since it has been a few years---4 I think, since I last opened an HP book!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I couldn't get into it.   Yeah...I couldn't get into it. Empty

Back to top Go down

Yeah...I couldn't get into it.
Page 1 of 1