Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 12:09 am

Started Watchmen by Alan Moore recently. It's pretty darn good. Very interesting.
So now I'm reading LesMiz and Watchmen.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:03 pm

The unfortunate thing is that I haven't had the fortune to read non-manga things lately, thanks to school. But in my English class, we read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It was easy enough to read, and it was quite mystical--it was about colonial Africa (late 1800s) and brutality.

Next, we are reading Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. I've heard it's a bit esoteric, but I'll have to see about that later on...

This summer, I really want to read Gone with the Wind. Kelsey and a few people at my school have recommended it to me.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 4:40 am

Still reading LesMiz. Will be for a while, so get used to it.
Went to the library and got the rest of the Gemma Doyle trilogy, which I am enjoying. I got other books too, from other series, but decided they weren't worth bothering with despite my series-finishing compulsion.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 09, 2009 3:56 am

Currently reading Homer's The Iliad. I recently saw a play based on it for drama class, so I figured it was time to read the real thing. So far, I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed The Odyssey.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 09, 2009 6:27 am

Just finished "Look for me by moonlight" by Mary Downing Hahn. The protagonist is less of an idiot than Bella Swan, though still an idiot. It was okay, nevertheless.

I came across this book while browsing through Chapters. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. I laughed out loud amidst stares and weird looks.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Magda wrote:
Currently reading Homer's The Iliad. I recently saw a play based on it for drama class, so I figured it was time to read the real thing. So far, I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed The Odyssey.

I remember reading these two books years ago and being amazed at the amount of graphic violence in them, especially The Iliad. It seemed that on every page someone was having his brains splashed against the inside of his helmet.

Speaking of violent books, a friend of mine has gotten me hooked on the "Jack Reacher" series of novels by Lee Child. The character of Jack Reacher is an ex-military MP who is now a drifter, who constantly finds himself literally walking into situations where he has to correct gross injustices. The writing is taut and fast-paced, and the plots are surprisingly complex. I have read three so far and they are all good reads.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 12:04 am

Gone with the Wind was fantastic. I'm positively in love with Rhett Butler. I'm now reading Lord of the Flies for school (which is a pretty awesome book so far), and in my spare time I'm trying to read Catch-22. Unfortunately, I still have no idea what the latter is about. It's proving hard to get into. I love the main character, though. His sense of logic is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 12:07 am

Allison wrote:
Gone with the Wind was fantastic. I'm positively in love with Rhett Butler.

joy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 2:48 pm

I finished Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher on Saturday or Sunday. At best, this book was mediocre.

I'm starting From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming now. After that book, I think I'll reread Jane Eyre. I read it late last year, but I'd like to read it again.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Winsome wrote:
I finished Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher on Saturday or Sunday. At best, this book was mediocre.

Definitely overrated. But with such a big fuss, I had to read it.
It wasn't realistic at all.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:23 pm

I just finished Animal Farm, by George Orwell. If you've ever read it, you probably feel the same as I do now: I'll never look at pigs the same way again.

George Orwell is a great story-teller.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 22, 2009 8:45 pm

I just finished Lord of the Flies. I nearly puked a couple times, and I hated how...awful everything was. But I have to admit as far as symbolism goes, Golding is a master. And the book has a lot of truth to it, whch made it harder to read.

Now reading Catch-22. It's freaking hilarious. I have no idea what's going on and everyone's insane, but I love it. It's like the book is one giant paradox. The book is really weird, but I encourage everyone to attempt it, if only for a few laughs.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:55 am

Allison wrote:
I just finished Lord of the Flies. I nearly puked a couple times, and I hated how...awful everything was. But I have to admit as far as symbolism goes, Golding is a master. And the book has a lot of truth to it, whch made it harder to read.

Now reading Catch-22. It's freaking hilarious. I have no idea what's going on and everyone's insane, but I love it. It's like the book is one giant paradox. The book is really weird, but I encourage everyone to attempt it, if only for a few laughs.

Star Trek rules! (And I admit, Spock is sexy in the new movie.)

As for LotF: I hated it the first time around, but when I read it again this spring, I loved it. It may be a matter of age, or simply a matter of mood Smile Anyway, you are right about the symbolism. The conch, Piggy's specs, these are masterpieces of multilayer symbols, and easy to analyse for anyone.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 7:06 am

Was at a library yesterday and too shy and lazy to bother the librarian, I just picked up what was there. Read R.L. Stine's "Cheerleaders: The Third Evil." I really enjoy his books.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:56 am

I have picked up a book called "Genghis: Birth of an Empire" by Conn Iggulden. It is a fictionalized account of the life of Genghis Khan. So far it seems to be a pretty good read.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 5:50 am

Just finished "Fear Street: What Holly Heard" by R.L. Stine at the library. Now starting on "Night of the Living Dummies" by the same author.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Louisa Lucian wrote:
Just finished "Fear Street: What Holly Heard" by R.L. Stine at the library. Now starting on "Night of the Living Dummies" by the same author.

That movie has probably screwed me up forever. Along with the dummy episode of The Twilight Zone. *shudder*
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 30, 2009 7:05 am

Galene wrote:
Louisa Lucian wrote:

That movie has probably screwed me up forever. Along with the dummy episode of The Twilight Zone. *shudder*

Did it scare you? When I first saw the cover of Night of Living Dummies, it screwed me up forever, too. I have a serious fear of ventriloquist dummies with creepy smiles.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 30, 2009 1:32 pm

I have just started "The Runes of the Earth" by Stephen R. Donaldson. This is part one of a new fantasy series, somewhat of a continuation of a fantasy series he wrote several years ago called "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever". I had forgotten what a good writer he is, even if he does have a tendency to use a lot of $20 words. Even though his settings and storylines owe a lot to Tolkien (what fantasy writer doesn't?), his imagination and descriptive powers are staggering, making it very easy to slip into the worlds he describes. If you enjoy epic fantasy, pick up a copy of "Lord Foul's Bane" and check it out.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Louisa Lucian wrote:
Galene wrote:
Louisa Lucian wrote:

Did it scare you? When I first saw the cover of Night of Living Dummies, it screwed me up forever, too. I have a serious fear of ventriloquist dummies with creepy smiles.

I think it's the mouth and eyes that get me. And I have a particular dislike for redheaded ones, because they always seem to be the most evil.
I have a borderline phobia.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySat May 30, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm currently in the middle of "Winesburg, Ohio" by Sherwood Anderson. We read some of the stories in class, so I figured I would finish the book by myself.
Anyway, "Winesburg, Ohio" is a collection of short stories about the "grotesque" people. One story, "Hands," is about a teacher who is driven out of town when a boy spreads a rumor about him molesting the students. Another story is about a man who detests women because his wife cheated on him when he thought they were so happy.

Right now I'm also reading "Woman On Trial" by Lawrencia Bembenek. We were required to choose a non-fiction book about perseverance for English class, so I picked this auto-biography. Bembenek was a former police officer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but was dismissed from the force for no valid reason at all. Later, she was charged for the murder of her husband's ex-wife; a murder she says she didn't commit.
I'm normally not a big fan of non-fiction, but "Woman On Trial" is exciting.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptySun May 31, 2009 4:21 pm

I took a break from the two novels above to read Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" this morning. It was extremely easy considering "Coraline" is a children's book, but I enjoyed it anyway. When the movie comes to DVD, I'll have to rent it.

Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 10:37 am

I am currently enjoying Scottish ghost stories, a collection of short stories I picked up in a tourist shop in Edinburgh. I simply LOVE ghost stories.

Also, I am reading Anthony O'Neill's second novel, "The Empire of Eternity", which is sort of a genre-crossing historical novel, with a lot of myth, philosophy, some crime Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Wendelin wrote:
I took a break from the two novels above to read Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" this morning. It was extremely easy considering "Coraline" is a children's book, but I enjoyed it anyway. When the movie comes to DVD, I'll have to rent it.

I LOVED Coraline when I read it a few years ago. At the time I found it extremely creepy.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Galene wrote:
Wendelin wrote:

I LOVED Coraline when I read it a few years ago. At the time I found it extremely creepy.

It was pretty creepy, especially with those black button eyes.

I loved the cat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 3 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next