Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Wanderer

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-07-19

What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I know what you mean about mind candy, Guys. I am quite partial to an explosion or two when it comes to movies. If I really want to treat my mind to the sweetest candy, I'll play videogames, preferably Grand Theft Auto.

I have finally started The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I bought it over a year ago and only now I've started it. I feel like I've only been reading for five minutes but already four hours have gone by. It is a fascinating read so far. Right up my street.

In fact, I'm gonna get right back to it now book1
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 pm

A friend of mine has loaned me Micro by Michael Crichton (actually, this was an unfinished manuscript that was completed by an author named Richard Preston, so how much of this book is actually Crichton is up for debate). It seems to be a variation of "The Incredible Shrinking Man" story. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 am

I've started reading the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett. I'd already read one of the books, Maskerade, back when I was fourteen, as part of my major Phantom of the Opera obsession, and enjoyed it greatly and found it hilarious. Then, recently, I read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, and loved it so much I decided to read more Discworld books. The first one, The Color of Magic, was amazing--incredibly clever and well written--although it felt slow at times. Now I'm reading The Light Fantastic and I'm loving it even more. I'm looking forward to the fourth book of the series, Mort, because everyone tells me that's when the series starts getting really amazing and because I've always enjoyed seeing personifications of Death.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 am

I've always thought about trying the Discworld series but I've felt kind of intimidated. Do you think you could give me a small overview/synopsis?

I finished my guilty pleasure, Mastiff, by Tamora Pierce over the weekend. It was ... a standard guilty pleasure. I liked it, though Smile
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Discworld is... kind of difficult to explain, since the series is so long and I've only barely started reading it. It takes place on a flat disc of a world which is carried through space on the back of a giant turtle. Various books focus on different characters--wizards, witches, the Watch, Death, etc. Generally, the books are known for parodying nearly every literary device possible.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 pm

I have started The March by E. L. Doctorow. It is set during the American Civil War, when General Sherman and his monstrous army (and his monstrous army of camp followers) pretty much laid waste to the state of Georgia. I have read Doctorow before (Ragtime, Billy Bathgate), and while he is an excellent writer, as usual he loves his run-on sentences and paragraphs that go on forever.

Micro was actually better than I thought it would be. If I get a chance I will post a review.

I'll get to A Dance With Dragons eventually!
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm about to make a start on The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon the prequel to The Shadow of the Wind. Here's the synopsis:

In an abandoned mansion at the heart of Barcelona, a young man, David Martín, makes his living by writing sensationalist novels under a pseudonym. The survivor of a troubled childhood, he has taken refuge in the world of books and spends his nights spinning baroque tales about the city’s underworld. But perhaps his dark imaginings are not as strange as they seem, for in a locked room deep within the house lie photographs and letters hinting at the mysterious death of the previous owner.

Like a slow poison, the history of the place seeps into his bones as he struggles with an impossible love. Close to despair, David receives a letter from a reclusive French editor, Andreas Corelli, who makes him the offer of a lifetime. He is to write a book unlike anything that has ever existed—a book with the power to change hearts and minds. In return, he will receive a fortune, and perhaps more. But as David begins the work, he realizes that there is a connection between his haunting book and the shadows that surround his home.

I am not usually one for reading series' but The Shadow of the Wind was a damned good book. I have posted a review if anyone is interested.

Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 11:52 pm

I'll have to look for Zafon the next time I go to the bookstore, which will be next Sunday. That will be my sister's birthday, and I always treat her to "breakfast and books" on the Sunday closest to her birthday.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 am

Paul wrote:
I'll have to look for Zafon the next time I go to the bookstore, which will be next Sunday. That will be my sister's birthday, and I always treat her to "breakfast and books" on the Sunday closest to her birthday.

That sounds like a fantastic tradition, Paul. The Shadow of the Wind would be perfect for that occasion. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 pm

I just noticed. If you look about three threads down from this one, it appears that our other administrator, Laura (where oh where can she be...? Sad ) is also a fan of Zafon. Hopefully she'll be back soon.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Paul wrote:
I just noticed. If you look about three threads down from this one, it appears that our other administrator, Laura (where oh where can she be...? Sad ) is also a fan of Zafon. Hopefully she'll be back soon.

I remember reading Laura's review a while back. I bought The Prince of Mist on monday, actually. It is Zafon's first book. I am looking forward to reading it.

Another book I bought was The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. There is a list of suggested reading material featured at the back of The Shadow of the Wind and The Dumas Club is one of them. Apparently it was made into a film starring Johnny Depp (renamed The Ninth Gate) but I haven't seen it.

I hope Laura does come back soon. Those Kafka short stories she got me into are fantastic, although quite gruesome. pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 am

Ben wrote:
I'm about to make a start on The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon the prequel to The Shadow of the Wind.

I am not usually one for reading series' but The Shadow of the Wind was a damned good book. I have posted a review if anyone is interested.

I was always curious about The Angel's Game. I look forward to having a review by a reader whose taste I trust.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I am almost done with The March. It is actually quite good.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Lillian wrote:
I was always curious about The Angel's Game. I look forward to having a review by a reader whose taste I trust.

I'm touched that you trust my taste, Lilli Very Happy Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Work and other things have taken up a lot of my time recently. I'm hoping to get round to reading it Friday -I have the day off! cheers
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:00 am

I finished The Angel's Game late last night. 3am in fact! I'll get round to writing a review sometime today. Right now I am expecting visitors and once they are here, they don't leave EVER!!! Laughing

I have a copy of The Prince of Mist (also by Zafon) But I may not read that just yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 am

I just finished The Miseducation of Cameron Price by Emily Danforth. I'm really dizzy today because I stays up late last night to finish it. *unrepentant grin* there is such a shortage of good LGBT YA lit. Not that it's the next Shakespeare, but it was decent.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Lillian wrote:
there is such a shortage of good LGBT YA lit.

A gap in the market methinks Very Happy

I haven't been reading that much recently but I have been dipping into Aesop's fables from time to time and a few Brothers Grimm stories. I have been looking for a fable about the Fox and the Scorpion.

A scorpion asks the fox to carry him across the river. The fox is worried that the scorpion might sting him during the trip, but the scorpion says that if he did so then the fox would die and sink with the scorpion on his back effectively killing them both. The fox agrees and begins to carry the scorpion, but then while they are halfway across the river the scorpion stings the fox, resulting in their certain death. When the fox asks why, the scorpion replies that he couldn’t help it and that it was in his nature.

The closest I have found is a tale about the Farmer and the Viper. A farmer finds a viper almost frozen to death and so he keeps it close to his chest to warm it up. When the viper regains consciousness he bites the farmer, causing him to die.

I guess the moral is that we should never help those who are wicked or we will surely be betrayed.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I have been reading A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin for the past couple of weeks. It is good so far, but what I have read seems to be a lot of setting up for future action, not the action itself... Sad

My reading time has gone right out the window lately. Putting in 50-60 hour weeks at work, my sons' activities, and the constant work required around the house and yard have definitely put a crimp in what I used to know as leisure time.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Oh... I read A Game of Thrones recently and greatly enjoyed it. Now I'm waiting for my hold on the second book to come through at the library. It's been a while since I've been so excited about a series.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:17 am

It is a great series, Magda. You won't regret reading it.

Of course, with an average of 5+ years between books lately, you may be putting in for retirement by the time Martin comes out with his last book in the series. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

Magda wrote:
Oh... I read A Game of Thrones recently and greatly enjoyed it. Now I'm waiting for my hold on the second book to come through at the library. It's been a while since I've been so excited about a series.

This guy belongs in the same club of "Break Your Heart and Destroy Your Soul" club that Joss Whedon does, Magda. It's great, but you have been warned. Also, it's wonderful to see you. waving
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 2:39 am

Yes, I got that impression from the end of the first book. But that's all right--I like it when books break my heart. The second book will hopefully arrive tomorrow and then I'll read it and feel a lot of emotions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:27 am

Ahahaha. YOU ARE SO UNPREPARED. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:25 pm

That's the best way to go into these things, I'm told.

Although if you think I, as a fellow Whedonite, am unprepared for the pain and misery these books hold, then I'm quite nervous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 6:30 am

I guess it depends how devoted you are to the characters. I like ASOIAF, but I'm nowhere near as attached to the people as I am to Whedon's people. Although I will RAGE if Tyrion dies.
Also ... weekend! Yay!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 19 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next