Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Care to offer any thoughts?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Care to offer any thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 am

Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
People can be mostly evil, but I still think there must be a bit of good in them. Seriously, it can be as small as giving a dollar to a beggar, but something prompted that kindness.

But what about people that really want to inflict pain? Ones that have no sense of humanity. Like Hitler or the BTK killer, or as I stated earlier some of the citizens of Rwanda back in 1994. Where is the good in them?

Like I said, it's there. The evil seems more prominent, especially what they did, but I'm sure they've done some good in their lives.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 3:13 am

Tourterelle wrote:
People can be mostly evil, but I still think there must be a bit of good in them. Seriously, it can be as small as giving a dollar to a beggar, but something prompted that kindness.

But what about people that really want to inflict pain? Ones that have no sense of humanity. Like Hitler or the BTK killer, or as I stated earlier some of the citizens of Rwanda back in 1994. Where is the good in them?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 3:03 am

Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 3:00 am

Tourterelle wrote:
1. I think I would rather be the favorite thing of 9 people. If I were the 9th favorite out of 100 people, I can't imagine the love being as strong.

2. I don't think all is for the best, although I do think everything must happen for a reason.

3. No. There must be a sliver of good there; no matter how small, it's still there.

What did you think, Jane?

I'd rather be the 9th favorite thing of hundred people. I can't imagine the horror of being anyone's favorite thing, nor can I imagine the type of person that would think of me that way.

I think it's foolish to go through life thinking that you needn't try to change the world because all is as it should be, and all will work itself out for the best. However, I agree with you that there are reasons behind everything that happens.

As to this last one, I'm really not sure anymore. I used to believe that all people were naturally good, and even if they gave themselves up to evil desires they would still have some of that goodness in them. But after that book, I'm not sure if I am content with that anymore. The things people have done to their fellow man....ever heard of the Hutus and Tutsis of Rwanda? A few of them make me wonder if there is good in everyone. How can you slowly hack innocent Tutsi children to death in a church and not be evil? I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 2:50 am

1. I think I would rather be the favorite thing of 9 people. If I were the 9th favorite out of 100 people, I can't imagine the love being as strong.

2. I don't think all is for the best, although I do think everything must happen for a reason.

3. No. There must be a sliver of good there; no matter how small, it's still there.

What did you think, Jane?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 2:47 am

These are a couple of questions that've made me think recently, so I thought I'd see what you all have to say.

1) Would you rather be the favorite thing of 9 people or the 9th favorite thing of 100 people? This was an extra credit question in one of my classes.

2) Do we 'live in the best of all possible worlds', where everything happens for a reason and all is for the best? This is an idea parodied in a book I read recently, Candide by Voltaire.

3) Do you think there are people that can justfiably be called pure evil? Geography class and the book The Graves Are Not Yet Full brought this question to my mind.

So yeah....those are just three questions that I've been asked recently, and seeing as most of the people at my school don't want to talk about these kinds of things, I wanted to put the questions to you all. Believe it or not, I'm just that bored.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Care to offer any thoughts?   Care to offer any thoughts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Care to offer any thoughts?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Archive-
Jump to: