Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is it just me or.....

Go down 
+2
Laura
BeautyBlitz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Is it just me or..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 am

I once wrote a novel-length story in which I - hormonal teenager and all - included every possible cliche. Oh god, that thing was awful. And I loved every minute of it.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Is it just me or..... 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 am

I also recall writing stories about talking worms.

joint
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 2:50 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
lol!

I am reminded of one of the stories I was working on in my younger years. Mary and Sue were best friends. Mary was going out with Gary, but Gary and Sue were in love. Gary fakes his death to be with Sue but Mary finds out.

That is as far as the plot development ever got. I was like 11 or 12 I think.

lol!

lol! I think most girls have written a story like that at one point of their lives. I used to base my writings off of my imaginary adventures. I used to play with these stuffed animals and they all had their own personalities and families and every time I played it with my sister, each different scenario was an episode. We had the stuffed animals stranded on an island trying to survive, gone back in time during the ice age, and be sheriffs in the wild west with Green Puppy (yes, he was green. original name isn't it?) and Red Puppy (they're brothers) who fall in love with a girl and get into a fight. One of them dies. Back then, everything we played was so vivid we actually cried. I miss my imagination... We also reenacted Once Upon A Marigold. I used to love that book.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 am

lol!

I am reminded of one of the stories I was working on in my younger years. Mary and Sue were best friends. Mary was going out with Gary, but Gary and Sue were in love. Gary fakes his death to be with Sue but Mary finds out.

That is as far as the plot development ever got. I was like 11 or 12 I think.

lol!
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Talkatoast wrote:
I have no issues with people writing about vampires. Write what you want to write. Those kids are just getting practice, and we all had to start somewhere. Most of them are preteens anyway. Doesn't mean we should go easy on them, but think back to the days when you were a preteen. I'm sure most of the stuff you wrote wasn't original either.

You do have a point there. I can't even remember much about my first story but I can still remember a little about it being a lot like Lion King. This was back in the first grade. I just don't like fantasy in general but I suppose I'd rather read a preteen's story about a vampire than another love story about some kids in high school.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am

I have no issues with people writing about vampires. Write what you want to write. Those kids are just getting practice, and we all had to start somewhere. Most of them are preteens anyway. Doesn't mean we should go easy on them, but think back to the days when you were a preteen. I'm sure most of the stuff you wrote wasn't original either.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 pm

I think that reading something like Twilight has gotten these girls to want to write. But since they love Twilight so much, they subconsciously include it in everything. I don't think they do it on purpose, but it is unavoidable, since more often than not, Twilight is one of the only books they've been exposed to.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
I've noticed that too. Blame it on the Twilight craze and yes, most of the stories are incredibly similar and cliched. The worst part of it is how the stories have increasingly bad grammar and spelling. I don't know much about fantasy but after the many stories I've read on Y!A, I don't think I want to get into it or for that matter EVER read another fantasy story ever again. Did you guys also notice that the stories are mostly vampire romances?

You're right; and all of them say "Well, my story's about vampires BUT IT'S NOT LIKE TWILIGHT."

But it always is. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:13 pm

I've noticed that too. Blame it on the Twilight craze and yes, most of the stories are incredibly similar and cliched. The worst part of it is how the stories have increasingly bad grammar and spelling. I don't know much about fantasy but after the many stories I've read on Y!A, I don't think I want to get into it or for that matter EVER read another fantasy story ever again. Did you guys also notice that the stories are mostly vampire romances?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Yes, maybe I have been too harsh there. Of course the sort of things as you mentioned will show, but only to people who are familiar with swords and horses. The things of everyday life, such as details about actual places, or the way institutions work, that is what I meant more specifically. I wouldn't know about swords, so I wouldn't notice that, but I would frown immediately if someone were to tell me that you can get from Hamburg to Bremen by direct flight...

Edit: Come to think of it, dedicated fantasy readers WOULD know these things. Smile
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Solveig wrote:
Well, I suppose fantasy is en vogue. I have always thought it relatively easy to write fantasy, since you can make everything up and don't have to actually KNOW stuff about the world that surrounds you in real life.

I don't necessarily agree with that. If you are going to put swords in your book and you know nothing about swordplay, or even the basic termanology, it will show.

If you are going to put epic journeys in your book and know nothing about how long a horse can really run before it dies, it will show.

There are many things that should be researched right from basic weather patterns and geography to archery (if necessary) and other things.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 11:58 am

Well, I suppose fantasy is en vogue. I have always thought it relatively easy to write fantasy, since you can make everything up and don't have to actually KNOW stuff about the world that surrounds you in real life. Also, to some people fantasy characters appear so very special in themselves that they don't think it necessary to allow them any form of depth or development. That is somewhat difficult to write, so people grab a nice vampire/werewolf/banana king and that's it.

Come to think of it, there are few fantasy novels I know that actually feature well-rounded characters. Harry Potter does, I believe - especially since Rowling does not do this nasty black-white painting (not a single character in the book is ONLY evil, except perhaps Voldemort, and even he has his reasons). Twilight doesn't, obviously. Alice in Wonderland doesn't have them, either, but I don't really find it necessary there - the main focus is on language and interaction with strange dreamland creatures, after all. Anne Rice does it, of course.

Hmmm. Must read more fantasy, to be able to produce a more satisfying answer. ^^
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 11:40 am

Is it just me or is everyone really writing stories that either have vampires or stories about people with magical superpowers that don't know they have superpowers.

Almost everytime I read someone's story excerpt on B&A it seems that the majority of them are all the same. Once in a while someone posts a good idea but then I immediatly warn them of internet theft and suggest they remove the question lest their good idea get stolen.

It would be nice to see people come up with their own storylines, even after certain books have inspired them to write. Just because a book about vampires inspires you does not mean you must write a book about vampires.

I just find it annoying that 9 1/2 ideas out of 10 on there are relatively similar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or.....   Is it just me or..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it just me or.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Archive-
Jump to: