Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Literary First Lines

Go down 
+5
Laura
Zara Mikazuki
Jane
Tourterelle
Magda
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Best Literary First Lines Empty
PostSubject: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 6:04 am

What are some of the best first lines to pull you into books? I love:

There once was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.--The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis

Last night I dreamed I was at Manderley again.--Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

In a hobbit hole, there lived a hobbit.--The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

The ghost in the Paris Opera really existed.--The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 3:15 pm

I also love the opening line to The Hobbit! Very Happy

Others I love:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."
-Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

"Marley was dead, to begin with."
-A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens

"It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York."
-The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath

"All this happened, more or less."
-Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut

Side topic: I think I might be going nuts. When I saw this question, I tried to star it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 4:34 pm

The Hobbit and Rebecca came to my mind as well.

Others:

"A surging, seething, murmuring crowd of beings that are human only in name, for to the eye and ear they seem not but savage creatures, animated by vile passions and by the lust of vengeance and of hate." ~ The Scarlet Pimpernel

"It was a pleasure to burn." ~ Farenheit 451

"There was no chance of taking a walk that day." ~ Jane Eyre
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Definitely "A Tale of Two Cities"

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Tourterelle - I'm with you, see also my signature Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 4:05 am

I love the Dawn Treader one. It makes me giggle every time I open that book.

I love "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful," because you spend the whole rest of the book finding out how true and untrue that can be.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 3:28 am

'Well, this is the end, Sam Gamgee,' said a voice by his side. And there was Frodo, pale and worn, and yet himself again; and in his eyes there was peace now, neither strain of will, nor madness, nor any fear. His burden was taken away. There was the dear master of the sweet days in the Shire. -The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien
Sorry it's a favorite line, but not opening...

Last edited by Nolofinwe on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Miss Clyde
Miss Clyde

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 1:47 am

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."- 1984 by George Orwell
Back to top Go down
http://www.writerscafe.org/Clyde-chan
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Tourterelle wrote:

Others I love:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

"It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York."

Side topic: I think I might be going nuts. When I saw this question, I tried to star it. lol!

I liked that first line from P and P, which made me want to read it--but as I began reading it, I realized that the writing (my personal opinion) was dry, so I was bored to death with the book.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Talkatoast wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Others I love:

I liked that first line from P and P, which made me want to read it--but as I began reading it, I realized that the writing (my personal opinion) was dry, so I was bored to death with the book.

Yes, that's true, it drags at first. It took me three attempts to get into it, but now I'm DEEPLY in love with it Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Solveig wrote:
Talkatoast wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Others I love:

Yes, that's true, it drags at first. It took me three attempts to get into it, but now I'm DEEPLY in love with it Smile

I guess I could try again. Usually when I can't get into a book the first time, I give up on it. tongue
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Literary First Lines   Best Literary First Lines Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Literary First Lines
Page 1 of 1