Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?

Go down 
+6
Talkatoast
BeautyBlitz
Louisa
Zara Mikazuki
karin-chan
denizenofevil
10 posters
AuthorMessage
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-12-03

What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? Empty
PostSubject: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 1:22 am

I actually have a distaste for fantasy books. I did like Harry Potter but normally, i hate those kinds of books. I think it's because I want to be able to relate to the characters and I want the book to be thought provoking.
Back to top Go down
karin-chan
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
karin-chan

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-12-15

What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 am

denizenofevil wrote:
I actually have a distaste for fantasy books. I did like Harry Potter but normally, i hate those kinds of books. I think it's because I want to be able to relate to the characters and I want the book to be thought provoking.

I usually like fantasy novels such as Harry Potter and the Inkheart series. That's actually almsot all of what I read haha. But I also like fictional autobiographies like when I was little, I loved the American girl series. But, all in all, I'm a fantasy girl.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 2:59 am

I'm going to have to agree with Karin-chan here. I love fantasy books. They help me forget everything about the real world, temporarily, then immerse me into a complex world filled with such awesome and independent characters.

This was why I was anticipating Twilight so much. There was SO much that Meyer could have done. Edward could have been anyone. He could have still been hot and amazing, but if he had a flaw. If there had been a quest of some sort. Had the Volturi been more imposing. So many ifs.

Harry Potter was just good. I loved the complexity and magic.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:17 am

I dislike fantasy, to be honest. That is why I never read Harry Potter. I have no interest for Eragon and The Chronicles of Narnia, those kind of stuff...
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:32 am

Like you, I have no interest in Eragon. I think maybe I'm put off of fantasy books because my cousin keeps showing me the stories she writes and she's inspired by fantasy books such as Twilight. I have the hardest time telling her I don't like the stories so I usually just say it could use some work. Unfortunately, she took this to mean that I would be her editor. scratch
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 am

denizenofevil wrote:
Like you, I have no interest in Eragon. I think maybe I'm put off of fantasy books because my cousin keeps showing me the stories she writes and she's inspired by fantasy books such as Twilight. I have the hardest time telling her I don't like the stories so I usually just say it could use some work. Unfortunately, she took this to mean that I would be her editor. scratch

Denizen, just tell her that Fantasy isn't a style that you are very familiar with. Then guide her somewhere that she could show her fantasy scripts to. It should do the trick.

I've never actually read Eragon, but the movie was confusing at best. Is the book anything like the movie?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 am

I used to HATE fantasy. This hate was inspired by reading The Sword of Shannara, the Dark Sword Trilogy and yes, even The Lord of The Rings. I hated it, I found that it was a genre largely filled with people that wanted to write a book but had little talent so they wrote a fantasy. Then...my dad bought The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind, and my mom, feeling much the same about fantasy as I do, read them simply for lack of anything else to read. She told me I must at least give them a try. They are the single most fantastic fantasy books that I have ever read. Goodkind is a genius.

I guess my biggest problem with a lot of fantasy novels is that there are either blatant discrepancies or that the author has to describe each characther, their abilites, and entire life story before their own story can begin, If you read the Dark Sword Triliogy you would know what I speak of.

I guess why I like TSOT so much is that yeah, it's a fantasy, but there's also beleiveable characters and an absorbing story in there, magic is secondary. He doesn't stop everytime something new is mentioned and give you a three page history and description of it. He is a wonderful writer.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:35 am

I love fantasy. It's mostly what I write. I've tried writing other genres before, but I don't have as much interest in those stories. I'll read other genres and enjoy them, but I most certainly won't write them.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am

I actually adore suspense thrillers, obviously considering Dean Koontz is my favorite author. I will read almost anything as long as the writing is good and the story is good. This excludes romance novels, I can't tolerate them. They are the same basic story just with different people and different settings (we need a smiley that barfs so I can insert it here)
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
I used to HATE fantasy. This hate was inspired by reading The Sword of Shannara, the Dark Sword Trilogy and yes, even The Lord of The Rings. I hated it, I found that it was a genre largely filled with people that wanted to write a book but had little talent so they wrote a fantasy.
I would have to disagree with you when you said that Fantasy writers are filled with people who just want to write, but couldn't. True, the more recent novels have not deserved the hype they have gotten. However, I would think writers like Tolkien could have tried their hand and succeeded at another genre just as easily. His books are really well-written, his novel filled with complex characters, and the history and geography of Middle Earth are both complete and realistic.

Last edited by Nolofinwe on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 am

okay, I'll give tolkein credit where credit is due, I probably should not have lumped him in with the others. Still, I think the same of Terry Brooks, Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman, Robert Jordan and a few others that I just can't think of the names for right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 pm

I have little respect for a lot of fantasy. Like BeautyBlitz said, it does seem to have many people who tag along purely because fantasy is popular. However, classic (and some, but not many contemporary) fantasy enchants me. I don't know why. To whoever said it's hard to relate, sometimes, yes, but I have found many characters easy to live vicariously through in many fantasy books.
Anyways, I like LOTR, Narnia (NOT the movies ... esp Caspian) and loads others but someone's kicking me off this computer so BYEEEE
Back to top Go down
karin-chan
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
karin-chan

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Louisa Lynn wrote:
I dislike fantasy, to be honest. That is why I never read Harry Potter. I have no interest for Eragon and The Chronicles of Narnia, those kind of stuff...

I do NOT like Eragon. Probably why you don't have any interest in it is because it's basically a copy of LOTR. It seriously is, I've read all 3 and they're not really good. I can say they're not boring and I'm certainly able to read them easily, but the characters have little to no personality, the plot really isn't that great, and did I mention the characters have NO personalities? There's very poor character development and all of the characters are pretty generic, anyway. One thing I can say for this series is I like the battle scenes. They always remind me of the battle scenes in the LOTR movies, except with dragons. The battles at the end of the books are usually pretty decent, except Brisingr, where the last battle SUCKED.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 12:37 am

karin-chan wrote:
Louisa Lynn wrote:

I do NOT like Eragon. Probably why you don't have any interest in it is because it's basically a copy of LOTR. It seriously is, I've read all 3 and they're not really good. I can say they're not boring and I'm certainly able to read them easily, but the characters have little to no personality, the plot really isn't that great, and did I mention the characters have NO personalities? There's very poor character development and all of the characters are pretty generic, anyway. One thing I can say for this series is I like the battle scenes. They always remind me of the battle scenes in the LOTR movies, except with dragons. The battles at the end of the books are usually pretty decent, except Brisingr, where the last battle SUCKED.

I heard that in Brisingr, Christopher Paolini broke out the Thesaurus like Steph? Someone on Y!A said that in Brisingr, the vocabulary was pretty hard for her. I'm not really sure, maybe it was just her. Even if SMeyer used a lot of long words, I still think her writing is mediocre.
Back to top Go down
karin-chan
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
karin-chan

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 1:15 am

Louisa Lynn wrote:
karin-chan wrote:
Louisa Lynn wrote:

I heard that in Brisingr, Christopher Paolini broke out the Thesaurus like Steph? Someone on Y!A said that in Brisingr, the vocabulary was pretty hard for her. I'm not really sure, maybe it was just her. Even if SMeyer used a lot of long words, I still think her writing is mediocre.

Well, some of my friends have trouble with the Eragon, but I never thought it was all too hard. Oh, Meyer's writing is REALLY mediocre. I thought Eragon was a LOT more interesting to read than Twilight. It had more difficult words, too, I guess. Yeah, I think that's what both authors did to make up for their horrible writing, hey used a LOT of adjectives and broke out the thesaurus.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 5:48 pm

I LOVE fantasy. I hate the cheesy rip-offs, but I really like some.
Harry Potter: Loved the originality and many of the characters. It was really well done.
Narnia: Where would we be without Narnia? It's classic, sweet, and magical, even if it is for children. (I threw a huge hissy fit after the Caspian movie, even if Caspian is kind of cute.)
Eragon: I really liked Eragon before I learned to analyze writing and development a little bit. Eragon was a good concept but the writing is kind of... hollow and the story and characters needed some filling out. I wish Paolini has waited just a little bit before he'd written. His writing could have improved and his development would have gone further. The vocabulary wasn't really hard for me and I read it when I was twelve or so. I read Brisingr in October and I wasn't impressed like I was with the other books that I read earlier. All the books could be boiled down a bit to be less watery and more solid.
LotR: I haven't read them, but I've heard great things. I'm going to try to read them over Christmas Break.
SoT: I haven't read these either, but I might.
Artemis Fowl: I used to adore these books. Due to slowing down of release dates, though, I lost interest over the years. The sixth one came out this year and I just now got it. So far, I'm not awed, but I might be. Eoin might pull another Wow.
Midnighters: I'm not sure if this is fantasy, but I only read the first one. I might read the second, but I'm not incredibly compelled to do so.
Mediator: I picked up the Twilight out of this series when I was looking for Meyer's. I never read any of them.
Inkheart: I read the first one in, like, fifth grade. I never got to finish and I might try to do that this summer... but I don't think I'll read the rest of them because of the things I've heard.

What am I missing?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 6:12 pm

I became a fan of fantasy after reading Tolkein. Granted, nothing else comes close to LOTR (although not for lack of trying-there are countless imitators), but there is still plenty of well-written fantasy out there. The best one I've run across are the "Song of Fire and Ice" novels by George R. R. Martin. The scope and detail of those novels are incredible, and Martin has created a whole host of characters the reader will never forget. My only problem with Martin is that he is taking so long to come out with the fifth book of the series. The last one came out at least three years ago, and there is no indication of when the next one is going to be released. Come on, George!

Besides fantasy, I enjoy thrillers, especially espionage thrillers. Daniel Silva comes to mind immediately.

I used to love Joseph Wambaugh ("The Choirboys" is one of the first novels I ever read. It still remains one of my all-time favorites), but over the last few years he has just written the same story over and over again.

For all out adventure nobody beats Wilbur Smith. All of his novels, both historical and contemporary fiction, are based in Africa, or on the high seas around that continent. In my opinion he is one of the few true masters of his craft. I very much recommend him if you are looking for some good, swashbuckling adventure.
Back to top Go down
The Grammar Child
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
The Grammar Child

Number of posts : 99
Dictionary Definition : The Fionacus-Grammaticus-Childicus is probably the youngest species known to the LC universe. Although she is one of the more advanced species in her own world (highous schoolicus), she can often be found asking questions about many things in the LC forum. This species of homo sapien is also known to be slightly over-excitable in the chatbox, sometimes to the point of throwing shoes. Much like a young puppy, she can be hyperactive and irritating - and yet, somehow, she can extremely lovable too.
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Mnyeh...

It depends. I do like a lot of fantasy, but a lot of it is...same-ish. After a while, it's all just a big pile of 'chosen one' mush.

Whenever I try to write, it's always what I would class as fantasy. I like to include magic and whatnot. However, one of my most recent stories is about the end of the Universe (mixed with some stuff about impossible utopias). I'm not sure what to class that as.

I like Terry Pratchett. I would say his stuff was fantasy, but, according to Border's book shop, it's sci-fi.

In conclusion...uh...

Is there a good way to conclude weird ramblings?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:01 pm

thegrammarchild wrote:
Mnyeh...

It depends. I do like a lot of fantasy, but a lot of it is...same-ish. After a while, it's all just a big pile of 'chosen one' mush.

Whenever I try to write, it's always what I would class as fantasy. I like to include magic and whatnot. However, one of my most recent stories is about the end of the Universe (mixed with some stuff about impossible utopias). I'm not sure what to class that as.

I like Terry Pratchett. I would say his stuff was fantasy, but, according to Border's book shop, it's sci-fi.

In conclusion...uh...

No. We don't conclude a whole lot here, as quite a lot of what goes on is weird ramblings (at least on my end). That's what's so great.
You don't have to conclude like you would on Answers. It's much more laid back here. You can, in fact, express distaste for something and not get a single thumbs down.
Back to top Go down
The Grammar Child
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
The Grammar Child

Number of posts : 99
Dictionary Definition : The Fionacus-Grammaticus-Childicus is probably the youngest species known to the LC universe. Although she is one of the more advanced species in her own world (highous schoolicus), she can often be found asking questions about many things in the LC forum. This species of homo sapien is also known to be slightly over-excitable in the chatbox, sometimes to the point of throwing shoes. Much like a young puppy, she can be hyperactive and irritating - and yet, somehow, she can extremely lovable too.
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 10:01 pm

Kelsey: Celadora wrote:
thegrammarchild wrote:
Mnyeh...

In conclusion...uh...

No. We don't conclude a whole lot here, as quite a lot of what goes on is weird ramblings (at least on my end). That's what's so great.
You don't have to conclude like you would on Answers. It's much more laid back here. You can, in fact, express distaste for something and not get a single thumbs down.

Damn it! I, for one, love being booed. When I get a thumbs down, I know that I've made an impact. What a Face

Well, at least you can comment on what everyone else says without being reported for 'chatting'...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?   What's your opinion on fantasy novels?  What genre of books do you prefer? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your opinion on fantasy novels? What genre of books do you prefer?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: