Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

LEAST favorite book

Go down 
+15
Kelsey
Epiphany
March Hare
Magda
Louisa
denizenofevil
karin-chan
Zara Mikazuki
Talkatoast
Tourterelle
Laura
Jane
GuardianSaiyoko
Goldfish
BeautyBlitz
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

LEAST favorite book - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 4:46 am

Solveig wrote:
Yeah, I've had to read "Frankenstein" as part of a gothic novel class. Geez, I hated it. As much as I love Percy Shelley - his wife is simply unable to produce enjoyable fiction. It is not very hard to read, though, and also easy to understand, but it is boring and creepy. It left me with a disgusted feeling.

You honestly didn't enjoy it, Solveig?

I'm sorry to hear that: I was the complete opposite. It kept my attention the entire time!

Very Happy My favorite book now, actually.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:59 pm

Okay, I'm getting mixed reviews. I guess I'll have to find out for myself (although I had to read the book anyways...)

What about Heart of Darkness?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 7:20 pm

I read "Heart of Darkness" quite a few years ago, and I enjoyed it, although I will say it is not for every taste. The movie "Apocalypse Now" was based on "Heart of Darkness", and like the book, most people either loved it or hated it.

As far as a supposedly classic novel I couldn't stand, for me that would have to be "Ivanhoe". I was supposed to read it as a freshman in high school (more years ago than I care to admit), and I could not get beyond the cloying descriptive passages in the beginning. Maybe I would enjoy it better if I picked it up now. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon, though.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I am trying to read Little Women and finding it really boring! Its a bit sweet and sickly at times and I am only on chapter 3 or 4! I am reading it from my DS Lite 100 classics.

Lynne

Does your mother know you read this stuff!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 4:48 pm

caring carer wrote:
I am trying to read Little Women and finding it really boring! Its a bit sweet and sickly at times and I am only on chapter 3 or 4! I am reading it from my DS Lite 100 classics.

Lynne

I so want to get that one, but they don't sell it on the German Amazon, and delivery from the UK would be pretty expensive. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Solveig wrote:
caring carer wrote:

Lynne

I so want to get that one, but they don't sell it on the German Amazon, and delivery from the UK would be pretty expensive. *sigh*

Its got some great books on it! Got mine from a supermarket! I also have a Sony Reader and I am ploughing my way through the Classic CD that came with that too as well as the few I have downloaded from Waterstones
Back to top Go down
The Grammar Child
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
The Grammar Child

Number of posts : 99
Dictionary Definition : The Fionacus-Grammaticus-Childicus is probably the youngest species known to the LC universe. Although she is one of the more advanced species in her own world (highous schoolicus), she can often be found asking questions about many things in the LC forum. This species of homo sapien is also known to be slightly over-excitable in the chatbox, sometimes to the point of throwing shoes. Much like a young puppy, she can be hyperactive and irritating - and yet, somehow, she can extremely lovable too.
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Rodent wrote:

Second place goes to Little Women. I tried many, many, many times to finish that book and just could not do it. I didn't even know Beth died until I saw the movie.

Oh gosh. I really hated that book. It was a gift from my friend one year - I just pretended that I read it!

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

I give it five weird, angry, muttering faces.
Back to top Go down
ksotikoula
ksotikoula

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-20

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 6:12 pm

I read mostly classics, so although there may be much worse books written today, I am going to refer to a classic that really irritated me. It was "The portrait of a lady" by Henry James. It was not its length that bothered me, although, if you do not like the novel, length turns out to be a disadvantage Rolling Eyes , but it was his style of writing, so difficult, wordy, complex without apparent reason. His heroine, who was presented as an intelligent lady with possibilities, rejects not one or two, but three eligible and worthy suitors, to marry a calculating rake and while she understands that by the end of the book and has the financial independence to live separately from him, she chooses to return to him for no apparent (again! - masochistic perhaps?) reason. It was so disappointing and such a waste of time (reading twice the complicated sentences of a veeery long book) to find nothing worthy as a meaning in the end. To contrast with, "Crime and punishment" is considered by many a difficult book, but it is worth reading it, because it has something to say.

I decided to give him (Henry James) a second chance reading "The turn of the screw" mostly because I heard that it was connected in some way with "Jane Eyre", which is my all time favorite book. "The turn of the screw" proved to be more interesting and easier. Surprisingly it was also small, but it had some really awkward dialogues, a kind of batty heroine and in the end it didn't really give you much insight of what happened there. Normally, I would not care if the ending was open, but still I seem to miss the conclusion of what he really wanted to show. Maybe he is not my type of writer.

I agree with those that say that Dickens is pretty boring sometimes, but he has his good moments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

LEAST favorite book
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3