Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

LEAST favorite book

Go down 
+15
Kelsey
Epiphany
March Hare
Magda
Louisa
denizenofevil
karin-chan
Zara Mikazuki
Talkatoast
Tourterelle
Laura
Jane
GuardianSaiyoko
Goldfish
BeautyBlitz
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : LEAST favorite book 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

LEAST favorite book Empty
PostSubject: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Of all the books you've read, which was the worst?

My answer is surprisingly NOT Twilight, although it is pretty near the top of my list.

Breaking Smith's Quarter Horse was TERRIBLY boring. I had to read it in 10th grade english and I actually fell asleep IN class, something I'd never done before and have not done since.

Second place goes to Little Women. I tried many, many, many times to finish that book and just could not do it. I didn't even know Beth died until I saw the movie.

Third place is of course, Twilight, for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 11:52 pm

rofl That's funny, not knowing a character died until you saw the movie. That is a good sign that the book was boring.

Anyway, with all of the complaints I've made concerning the Twilight series, it's actually not my least favorite book. My least favorite would have to be, without question, Blood and Chocolate. I don't know how someone could like that book. (I can't believe I'm about to say this...) I can see why someone would like Twilight--there's Edward and Stephenie presents the whole vampire/immortality thing as charming. She hides the annoying parts very well. However, Blood and Chocolate, the main character Vivian is, dare I say it, shallower than Bella. She starts out by saying something about how she doesn't fit with other girls, they don't like her and she has no idea why. Then, a few pages later, she's admiring herself, naked shall I add, in front of a mirror, talking about her hips, breasts and just making it sound as if she were the epitome of physical perfection.

Not to mention, the whole book is just one throbbing hormone. At least Bella was good at hiding her hormonal-ness; Vivian's relationship consisted of snogging whatever the guy's name was (I know it started with an A: Aiden, maybe) and talking about herself, yet again.

I'm glad that book isn't as famous as Twilight is, though. If it was, I might just pull my hair out. I can look at Twilight and point out it had potential and some other good things, if I was willing to bend, but I can't do that with Blood and Chocolate. I've tried.

But, Twilight is the third least favorite. My second least favorite makes me just as mad as my first leave favorite... I'm going to stop complaining now... Or else I might: pc
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 am

I think Little Women actually tops my list of least favourite books. I never did finish it, because after the first forty pages I was bored out of my skull. Later my mother admitted she hated it, too, and had also never finished it.

I also hate, and I realise this is considered a classic but I seriously can't stand it, The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. It's horribly unrealistic and I don't appreciate the actual advertisement for his other books it contains. No teenage boy on an island, no matter if it's an island which magically has everything one could ever need up to and including tobacco and a trained ape, is going to be happy there without some females. Unless he's flaming, I suppose, but this boy didn't seem to be. I just... I hate that book. So much. Not the author, I actually usually like Jules Verne in an absent-minded sort of way, but I hated The Mysterious Island.

This one's a bit unusual, but I think third has to be a book my Creative Writing teacher forced us to buy in high school because she wrote it. It was something like How To Build A Long-Lasting Fire, it was supposed to teach you how to write a poem but actually demonstrated what a complete narcissist the author was, and it was a class pastime to rip out pages to make paper airplanes and hurl them at the teacher. Surprisingly, she never did catch on to that. She did other things, like 'surprising' us with a guest speaker which turned out to be her mom and repeatedly leaving for gods-know-where and telling me to teach (actually sort of fun), but the book was the worst of it.

Sorry, that last one turned into more of a rant against a teacher. (Worse yet? Her little sister was my English teacher and was, if possible, worse). I did hate that book though. Several other students burned their copies, and it's possibly the only book I would ever be willing to burn.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 am

GuardianSaiyoko wrote:
This one's a bit unusual, but I think third has to be a book my Creative Writing teacher forced us to buy in high school because she wrote it. It was something like How To Build A Long-Lasting Fire, it was supposed to teach you how to write a poem but actually demonstrated what a complete narcissist the author was, and it was a class pastime to rip out pages to make paper airplanes and hurl them at the teacher. Surprisingly, she never did catch on to that. She did other things, like 'surprising' us with a guest speaker which turned out to be her mom and repeatedly leaving for gods-know-where and telling me to teach (actually sort of fun), but the book was the worst of it.

Sorry, that last one turned into more of a rant against a teacher. (Worse yet? Her little sister was my English teacher and was, if possible, worse). I did hate that book though. Several other students burned their copies, and it's possibly the only book I would ever be willing to burn.

Ooh, Guardian, that must really have sucked. That totally sounds like a case of narcissism. I've had my fair share of boring books in class that we've had to read. One of them: My Brother Sam is Dead. And I was like "So?!!" I read that book, but can't tell you what it's about, unless the title basically is a very brief synopsis of the plot. Which I know it isn't...
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:23 am

The Shades of Simon Gray by Joyce Mcdonald. A child could write better than that. Stephenie Meyer could write better than that. The characters are shallow and whiny, and I sympathize with none of them. The author continually fills the story with needless details (and repeats them at every possible moment, just in case we've forgotten what street the character's friend lives on or what the neighbor's cat's name is), and I swear she described every single outfit each character wore. The foreshadowing was plainly obvious. The author failed at every attempt to create suspense. She's not good at imagery, either. You'd think a woman who had been a publisher for fourteen years would be able to write a decent book. Apparently not.

The worst part: this book was assigned by my English teacher. He says it's "wrought with conflict", but most of the conflicts are about teenage angst. I literally cannot bring myself to finish this book, even if it is a homework assignment.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:30 am

Oh dear. "The Sound and the Fury" by Faulkner, no doubt. There he goes and reinvents writing, and THAT is what he produces?? In that case, I'll just stick with the old method of writing, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 am

The Prophecy of the Stones series was terrible! So cliche; each girl had a gem name, they fought Death, etc. Awful!

Off topic, but Jane, did you get the Yoda quote from your school agenda planner? scratch
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:45 am

Tourterelle wrote:
The Prophecy of the Stones series was terrible! So cliche; each girl had a gem name, they fought Death, etc. Awful!

Off topic, but Jane, did you get the Yoda quote from your school agenda planner? scratch

Very Happy Haha! I've never even seen the inside of my school planner. I just liked the quote from the movie. Yes, I am so much of a geek that I like Star Wars.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm

It's a tie between The Red Badge of Courage and Cold Sassy Tree.

The Red Badge of Courage was so bad that I don't even remember it! Shocked

And Cold Sassy Tree was a coming-of-age story with no real plot. Snore fest! Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Tourterelle wrote:

That is so true! It wasn't their gem names that bothered me, but their extremely Mary-Sue characters. The entire plot was a walking cliche! The Army of Light? The Army of Darkness? Come on Bujor, get real.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:44 am

Quote :
That is so true! It wasn't their gem names that bothered me, but their extremely Mary-Sue characters. The entire plot was a walking cliche! The Army of Light? The Army of Darkness? Come on Bujor, get real.

Oh God, yes! Half of the book was stolen themes that she made even worse!

Honestly, some writers need to wait until they are adults before considering publishing.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:45 am

Quote :
Very Happy Haha! I've never even seen the inside of my school planner. I just liked the quote from the movie. Yes, I am so much of a geek that I like Star Wars.

Well, the quote is in there! lol!

Hmm, I've never gotten into Star Wars. I suppose it's just not my thing.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 3:04 am

Oddly enough, I haven't read most of the books that were listed above, so Twilight still tops my list. Although, The Scarlet Letter is pretty dang close to overtaking Twilight. I understand that it is a classic, but....UGHHH I HATE IT. It seems like Hawthorne is just dragging on...and on...and on...... Sleep
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 3:06 am

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
Oddly enough, I haven't read most of the books that were listed above, so Twilight still tops my list. Although, The Scarlet Letter is pretty dang close to overtaking Twilight. I understand that it is a classic, but....UGHHH I HATE IT. It seems like Hawthorne is just dragging on...and on...and on...... Sleep

You're not the only one who feels that way, Zara! I thought the same thing as well, but since I hadn't finished the whole book, I didn't bother to list it. It's not my least favorite book; it's just really boring.
Back to top Go down
karin-chan
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
karin-chan

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 am

Well, Twilight is certainly at the top of my list! ESPECIALLY Breaking Dawn. I thought you couldn't get any worse in the Twilight series, and then the 4th book came out *sigh* Mad But I actually hate most if not all classics. This includes Wuthering Heights which was one of the most boring books I have had the misfortune to read, Moby Dick, whcih was also insanely boring, Hawthorne Heights, and The Scarlet Letter. But, all in all, I think Twilight tops all of them!
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 3:39 am

karin-chan wrote:
Well, Twilight is certainly at the top of my list! ESPECIALLY Breaking Dawn. I thought you couldn't get any worse in the Twilight series, and then the 4th book came out *sigh* Mad But I actually hate most if not all classics. This includes Wuthering Heights which was one of the most boring books I have had the misfortune to read, Moby Dick, whcih was also insanely boring, Hawthorne Heights, and The Scarlet Letter. But, all in all, I think Twilight tops all of them!

I didn't know that you disliked classics in general. Are there any notable ones out there that you like or are okay to?
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 am

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
karin-chan wrote:

I didn't know that you disliked classics in general. Are there any notable ones out there that you like or are okay to?

I found Moby Dick really boring but I actually liked Scarlet Letter. Sure, it was kinda slow but the story and language is beautiful. I like classics but I HATE fantasy books. They're all exactly the same to me and I find it ridiculous that most of the names are unpronounceable.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 4:44 am

denizenofevil wrote:
I like classics but I HATE fantasy books. They're all exactly the same to me and I find it ridiculous that most of the names are unpronounceable.

I'll agree that I like classics, btu we have such different opinions on fantasy. Each one reads differently to me, but I kind of see what you are saying. lol! about the unpronouncable names. Sometimes, it's okay but sometimes it really distracts me. But some of the names are really pretty. Like "Lyra" from His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I loved that first book, but never got to read the rest unfortunately...

Random question, Denizen. Do you like anime, perchance?
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 4:53 am

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
I like classics but I HATE fantasy books. They're all exactly the same to me and I find it ridiculous that most of the names are unpronounceable.

I'll agree that I like classics, btu we have such different opinions on fantasy. Each one reads differently to me, but I kind of see what you are saying. lol! about the unpronouncable names. Sometimes, it's okay but sometimes it really distracts me. But some of the names are really pretty. Like "Lyra" from His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I loved that first book, but never got to read the rest unfortunately...

I LOVE Anime!

I liked Pullman's books. Those names were fine but there are so many other books out there with names that distract the heck out of me. Have you ever read the Redemption of Althalus? That was horrible! It started off pretty good but then it got really annoying with the sweet talking and the old Bible language. The names were pronounceable enough except for the boy named Ghar's.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 am

denizenofevil wrote:
Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:

I LOVE Anime!

I liked Pullman's books. Those names were fine but there are so many other books out there with names that distract the heck out of me. Have you ever read the Redemption of Althalus? That was horrible! It started off pretty good but then it got really annoying with the sweet talking and the old Bible language. The names were pronounceable enough except for the boy named Ghar's.

No I haven't read it myself, but my friend did and told me she didn't like it. Now that I have two separate opinions that match, I think I'll avoid the book, unless I'm curious enough. Some of the names ARE annoying...totally distract me.

Do you think I should read on in His Dark Materials?
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:18 am

I read the first two of Pullman's books but then for some reason, I got kinda bored so I couldn't keep going. I think I'll try again someday when I have more time but if you like it so far, you should keep on going. I hear it's kinda controversial.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:21 am

denizenofevil wrote:
I read the first two of Pullman's books but then for some reason, I got kinda bored so I couldn't keep going. I think I'll try again someday when I have more time but if you like it so far, you should keep on going. I hear it's kinda controversial.

So, I'm butting in. Anyway, I'm not much of a fan of classics, if you've seen me on Y!A. Of course, I have a few I like, but most I either haven't read or found uninteresting.

Anyway, if you see the reviews for the books (Dark Materials) on Amazon, you'll know why it's controversial. But I haven't read the books. Yet.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : LEAST favorite book 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:10 am

denizenofevil wrote:
Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
karin-chan wrote:

I found Moby Dick really boring but I actually liked Scarlet Letter. Sure, it was kinda slow but the story and language is beautiful. I like classics but I HATE fantasy books. They're all exactly the same to me and I find it ridiculous that most of the names are unpronounceable.

denizen, should you ever find it in yourself to give another fantasy series a try then you must give The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind a try, I think you will find MOST of his names pronounceable. The main characters names are Richard and Kahlan. Also there is Zed, Agie, Rachel, Chase, Anne, Nikki, Cara, Denna, etc etc etc. They are also VERY well written and are, in my opinion, the most amazing fantasy series I have ever read. I used to be a fantasy hater until I read these.
Back to top Go down
karin-chan
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
karin-chan

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
karin-chan wrote:

Well, Pride and Prejudice and Crime and Punishment were pretty decent. But, in general, I tend to hate most classics. I know they're classics and are supposed to be so wonderful, but I can't see WHY they're classic. I, myself, enjoy more difficult books, but most classics I've read are just boring!
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:40 pm

karin-chan wrote:
Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
karin-chan wrote:

Well, Pride and Prejudice and Crime and Punishment were pretty decent. But, in general, I tend to hate most classics. I know they're classics and are supposed to be so wonderful, but I can't see WHY they're classic. I, myself, enjoy more difficult books, but most classics I've read are just boring!

I LOVED both of those books. Pride and Prejudice is timeless and Crime and Punishment is so complex. Rodion Raskolnikov has got to be one of my most favorite literary characters of all time. He's brilliant, but confused. Kind of mental, but logical and cunning. He's kind of paradoxical...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LEAST favorite book   LEAST favorite book Empty

Back to top Go down

LEAST favorite book
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next