Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic book quiz?

Go down 
+4
Tourterelle
Laura
Magda
BeautyBlitz
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Classic book quiz? - Page 2 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Classic book quiz? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 11:52 am

Frankenstein

"Here it is about gentlemen of fortune. They lives rough, and they risk swinging, but they eat and drink like fighting-cocks, and when a cruise is done, why, it's hundreds of pounds instead of hundreds of farthings in their pockets. Now, the most goes for rum and a good fling, and to sea again in their shirts. But that's not the course I lay. I puts it all away, some here, some there, and none too much anywheres, by reason of suspicion. I'm fifty, mark you; once back from this cruise, I set up gentleman in earnest. Time enough too, says you. Ah, but I've lived easy in the meantime, never denied myself o' nothing heart desires, and slep' soft and ate dainty all my days but when at sea. And how did I begin? Before the mast, like you!"
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson

"I don't know if it be a peculiarity in me, but I am seldom otherwise than happy while watching in the chamber of death, should no frenzied or despairing mourner share the duty with me. I see a repose that neither earth nor hell can break; and I feel an assurance of the endless and shadowless hereafter - the Eternity they have entered - where life is boundless in its duration, and love in its sympathy, and joy in its fullness."
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Wuthering Heights.

This advance of the enemy had seemed to the youth like a ruthless hunting. He began to fume with rage and exasperation. He beat his foot upon the ground, and scowled with hate at the swirling smoke that was approaching like a phantom flood. There was a maddening quality in this seeming resolution of the foe to give him no rest, to give him no time to sit down and think. Yesterday he had fought and had fled rapidly. There had been many adventures. For to-day he felt that he had earned opportunities for contemplative repose. He could have enjoyed portraying to uninitiated listeners various scenes at which he had been a witness or ably discussing the processes of war with other proved men. Too it was important that he should have time for physical recuperation. He was sore and stiff from his experiences. He had received his fill of all exertions, and he wished to rest.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 pm

The Red Badge of Courage.

"Livvy, he'll be devastated," she said as they sat alone in the drawing room. "Maybe I should have just told him over the phone- maybe it would have been easier for both of us."
"Constance, you know you can''t do it that way. You both have to face this thing. Together. You owe him that much."
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:05 pm

Err...I give up. Where is it from, Nicholle?

Beth could not reason upon or explain the faith that gave her courage and patience to give up life, and cheerfully wait for death. Like a confiding child, she asked no questions, but left everything to God and nature, Father and Mother of us all, feeling sure that they, and they only, could teach and strengthen heart and spirit for this life and the life to come.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott?

For my mother Thetis the goddess of silver feet tells me
I carry two sorts of destiny toward the day of my death. Either,
if I stay here and fight beside the city of the Trojans,
my return home is gone, but my glory shall be everlasting;
but if I return home to the beloved land of my fathers,
the excellence of my glory is gone, but there will be a long life
left for me, and my end in death will not come to me quickly.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 am

The Iliad

"They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
"No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
"Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
"They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
"And what difference does that make?"
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:26 am

Catch 22

As if the clock hadn't finished striking, and the convulsive little Haymaker at the top of it, jerking away right and left with a scythe in front of a Moorish Palace, hadn't mowed down half an acre of imaginary grass before the Cricket joined in at all!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 am

The Cricket on the Hearth, Charles Dickens

Her manners were pronounced to be very bad indeed, a mixture of pride and impertinence; she had no conversation, no style, no taste, no beauty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 6:37 am

Slight adjustment here:

If you people agree (If you don't, please do let me know) I'm changing this to a simple book quiz. That is to say, not just exclusive classics. All books are on the table. Agreed?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 am

Sounds good to me! Being open to all books is a great idea.

Pride and Prejudice

The world is full of broken people. Splints, casts, miracle drugs, and time can't mend fractured hearts, wounded minds, torn spirits.

Currently, sunshine was Micky Bellsong's medication of choice, and southern California in late August was an apothecary with a deep supply of this prescription.

Tuesday afternoon, wearing a bikini and oiled for broiling, Micky reclined in a lounge chair in her aunt Geneva's backyard. The nylon webbing was a nausea-inducing shade of green, and it sagged, too, and the aluminum joints creaked as though the lawn furniture were far older than Micky, who was only twenty-eight, but who sometimes felt ancient.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 12:03 pm

One door away from Heaven by Dean Koontz

"There are no safe choices, only different ones."
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 3:21 pm

A Great and Terrible Beauty, Libba Bray.

"That is easily done," replied the -----.
The ----- took his axe and began to chop down small trees to make a raft, and while busy at this the ----- found on a river bank a tree full of fine fruit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 12:05 pm

The Wizard of Oz.

You probably won't get this one Wink

You deserve a fucking phone call.

and from the same book as a clue:

Dear Greg,
You are so dumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Seems like no one got this either.

They are both from the book "He's Just Not That Into You"

Next:

But hidden drawers, lockable diaries and cryptographic systems could not conceal from _____ the simple truth: she had no secrets. Her wish for a harmonious, organised world denied her the reckless possibilities of wrongdoing. Mayhem and destruction were too chaotic for her tastes, and she did not have it in her to be cruel.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Atonement, Ian McEwan

___ laughed. "Gonna get 'im bore in a orange ranch, huh? In one of them white houses with orange trees all aroun'."
___ felt her stomach with both her hands. "You do not see," she said, and she smiled her complacent smile and went into the house. The evening was hot, and the thrust of light still flowed up from the western horizon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 1:48 am

Rose Knows All? Just a guess ...

I could hear a roll of muffled drums. But I could see nothing but the lacing on the bodice of the lady standing in front of me, blocking my view of the scaffold. I had been at this court for more than a year and attended hundreds of festivities; but never before one like this.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 11:26 am

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Dark spruce forest frowned on either side the frozen waterway. The trees had been stripped by a recent wind of their white covering of frost, and they seemed to lean toward each other, black and ominous, in the fading light. A vast silence reigned over the land. The land itself was a desolation, lifeless, without movement, so lone and cold that the spirit of it was not even that of sadness.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 am

White Fang, Jack London

"Where is it I've read that someone condemned to death says or think, an hour before his death, that if he had to live on some high rock, on such a narrow ledge that he'd only room to stand, and the ocean, everlasting darkness, everlasting solitude, everlasting tempest around him, if he had to remain standing on a square yard of space all his life, a thousand years, eternity, it were better to live so than to die at once! Only to live, to live and live! Life, whatever it may be!"
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 11:14 am

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

On the part of the two people most concerned there was no wavering. So many of the stories about her fiance were false that Hildegarde refused stubbornly to believe even the true one. In vain General Moncrief pointed out to her the high mortality among men of fifty--or, at least, among men who looked fifty; in vain he told her of the instability of the wholesale hardware business. Hildegarde had chosen to marry for mellowness, and marry she did....
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 5:25 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Whether he knew of this deficiency himself I can't say. I think the knowledge came to him at last--only at the very last. But the wilderness found him out early, and had taken vengeance for the fantastic invasion. I think it had whispered to him things about himself which he did not know, things of which he had no conception till he took counsel with this great solitude--and the whisper had proved irresistibly fascinating. It echoed loudly within him because he was hollow at the core."
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

It is an article of their creed that the first faint glimmering of true civilization shone in the first street-light maintained at the public expense. They trace their existence and high position in the public esteem, in a direct line to the heathen mythology; and hold that the history of Prometheus himself is but a pleasant fable, whereof the true hero is a lamplighter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 1:48 pm

The Lamplighter, Charles Dickens

"How old will I be then?"
"Ninety-nine."
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne...?

Soon the men began to gather, surveying their own children, speaking of planting and rain, tractors and taxes. They stood together, away from the pile of stones in the corner, and their jokes were quiet and they smiled rather than laughed. The women, wearing faded house dresses and sweaters, came shortly after their menfolk. They greeted one another and exchanged bits of gossip as they went to join their husbands. Soon the women, standing by their husbands, began to call to their children, and the children came reluctantly, having to be called four or five times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm

You are right, Winnie the Pooh it is.

The Lottery, Shirley Jackson??

"Perv."
He pointed at himself. "Male. Eighteen."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Classic book quiz?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next