Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vocabulary Challenge

Go down 
+8
Goldfish
Magda
Coffee Spoons
Zara Mikazuki
Tourterelle
denizenofevil
Laura
BeautyBlitz
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 am

The head cheerleader, Liz, wore a crown upon her head and a cheerleading outfit, complete with a megaphone. Her blond hair was teased to enormous heights, and it appeared to the audience that she wasn't intelligent enough to do even simple tasks, such as setting up a computer's printer or playing a game of checkers. Many of the audience members also had a keen idea that Liz was overly gallivant.

France, Magician, Oddball, Rhinoceros, Adoration.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:23 am

France, Magician, Oddball, Rhinoceros, Adoration.

"Right then, back to France!" the magician said to his pet rhinoceros "Oddball", who just stared at him in adoration.

gamekeeper, impenetrable, personified, jovial, corroberation
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 1:05 am

...bump?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

"Why aren't you acting jovial today?" the gamekeeper Christopher asked his personified wooden doll.
"My thoughts are impenetrable, Christopher. You would be best not to try."
All in all, these conversations seemed like corroboration of Christopher's insanity to his sister Joanie, who hid in the closet and watched the two discuss life.

Treetop, Editor, Inane, Gorilla, Melody
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm

My editor was reading my new story about an inane gorilla who lives in the treetops.

Poker, book, llama, sunlight, email
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 9:35 pm

I stroked my pet llama Emily, secretly peeking at John from the corner of my eye. His poker face always seemed hard to decipher, a fact I had known even in accepting his offer of a poker game through email. Another friend of mine perched near the window, sunlight illuminating her eyes and making it easy for me to see past her poker face, even as she hid behind a book.

Overload, wrench, gnarly, rooster, otter.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm

My brother had an overload of chips again. I tried to wrench the darn bag away from him, but he was strong, and I was afraid that we'd rip the bag if we exerted any more force to it. Suddenly I heard the front door open. It was my dad, who was carrying a cage with a gnarly rooster in it, its eyes piercing and deadly.
"What's that for?" I asked, nervous.
"It's a replacement for Poppy the otter, dear," he replied.

Chocolate, computer, sorrow, idiocy, magnanimous
Back to top Go down
Cereal P!NK
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Cereal P!NK

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Louisa Lynn wrote:
My brother had an overload of chips again. I tried to wrench the darn bag away from him, but he was strong, and I was afraid that we'd rip the bag if we exerted any more force to it. Suddenly I heard the front door open. It was my dad, who was carrying a cage with a gnarly rooster in it, its eyes piercing and deadly.
"What's that for?" I asked, nervous.
"It's a replacement for Poppy the otter, dear," he replied.

Chocolate, computer, sorrow, idiocy, magnanimous

My friend is very nice, the other day she was looking after her four year old niece Clara. They were having a blast, drink hot chocolate, eating crisps, watching films..... but then, suddenly, all joy turned into sorrow. Clara spilt her hot chocolate on my friend's brand new computer, my friend cursed and cussed "How STUPID!" she yelled "I'm such an idiot! I shouldn't have left it there"
Her niece frightened quickly apologised, while mopping up what's left of the spilt hot chocolate with her sleeve.
"Leave it," said my friend sharply "I'll clean it up".
Mopping the floor clean my friend felt stupid, she shouldn't have yelled at her niece, after all her niece is only four years old, a mere child. The idiocy of her behaviour saddened her, she felt remorseful and being a naturally magnanimous person she pretended that nothing had happened.

That's a true story! It happened last week! Smile

Shoe, spontaneous, graceful, illuminating, incomprehensible.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Today was bad, incomprehensible even. Graceful as ever I stumbled out of the cab and stepped in dog crap. It was caked to the bottom of my shoe. My friend, Susan, had decided to be spontaneous, this landed her in jail. One should never flash a police officer. The light above the door was illuminating me and my frusterated, disheveled appearance. Never again will I bail her out. She wasn't even grateful.

dexterous, legwork, puddle, ambiguous, charade
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 am

One day, as I was walking home, I noticed that there were a ton of puddles around me. Using my dexterous legwork, I was able to shuffle my way around them all. Soon I got home and found all of my friends playing charades. Of course, all of their actions looked ambiguous to me, and I was confused in the end.

Blackboard, colonial, purify, physics, imagination
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm

Blackboard, colonial, purify, physics, imagination

I stared blankly at the blackboard in the colonial classroom. Physics always wiped everything off my mind, and so my purified imagination was free to wander.

basement, obnoxious, parsley, ceremony, honey
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:23 pm

basement, obnoxious, parsley, ceremony, honey

After minutes of searching, I found my obnoxious brother in the basement. He was performing some sort of 'joining' ceremony with his girlfriend, Honey. They were dressed in nothing but parsley.

cinnamon, cape cod, mouse, obtuse, envelop
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:32 pm

cinnamon, cape cod, mouse, obtuse, envelop

I looked at the mouse obtusely. I didn't know how it had come in, or why it smelt of cinnamon, but fact was that it carried an envelope containing an invitation to Cape Cod.

pain, administration, rye, liability, purpose
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:34 pm

pain, administration, rye, liability, purpose

My purpose is to inflict much pain upon the former Bush administration. I know, however, that I will soon become a liablility if I don't stop sitting here sipping rye.

objective, student, ace, problematic, systematic
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm

objective, student, ace, problematic, systematic

My objective was clear: As a student, I would systematically ace all my exams. However, the realization turned out to be problematic.

gist, morality, engineer, draining, kitten
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:56 am

gist, morality, engineer, draining, kitten

When I saw my kitten acting weird, I finally got the gist of the situation. I wasn't going to let morality prevent me from doing my job. I used my engineering knowledge to prevent further draining of the water.

fire, dark, board, phone, wool
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 am

fire, dark, board, phone, wool

I sat before the fire, drying my wet wool socks when the phone rang. I stumbled through the half dark room to answer it. My brother was on the other end, complaining that he was bored. I hung up.

dangerous, melancholy, crystal, popsicle, birthday
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 am

The taxi stopped and I heard my best friend Alexia pay the driver.
"Thanks, mister, for bringing us all the way here."
"No problem, miss. It was worth it." The way he said 'worth' meant that Lexi definitely gave the man a generous tip.
"Lex, can I take off this stupid blindfold now? Where the heck are we?"
"You'll see! Come on, take my hand, I'll lead you!" She was practically jumping around with the excitement.
"Okay, take off your blindfold!" She said hurriedly.
No way. We were in that old abandoned mansion down Spooner Street. Ghost stories and legends plagued that house, so naturally everyone stayed away.
I was fuming. To be honest I'm afraid of creepy mansions. "What were you thinking when you brought me here? You don't know me at all, do you?"
"Skye, isn't this a nice way to celebrate your birthday? With a little mystery and suspense?" She was trying to charm her way out of it.
I stared out at the mansion again. The garden of roses which were still blooming and healthy gave off a melancholy air for some reason. The place seemed lonely and dark.
"It's dangerous here! We'll be caught trespassing, idiot! And it's hot." I'm dying for a popsicle in this June weather.
"Oh, don't be such a killjoy. Let's go!" She ran towards the rusty gate and was a few inches away when we both heard a crack.
"What was that?" I asked her.
"I stepped on this mirror and broke it. Ooh, I hope this won't cause 7 years bad luck!" Alexia's face suddenly turned pale.
"Don't be so superstitious. Let me see it." It was an exquisite mirror, embedded with crystals and diamonds. It's a shame that Lexi broke it.
"Hey, who are you two?" We heard a man's gruff voice from behind us.

perfume, bread, winnow, dandy, scrupulous

Last edited by Louisa Seraphina on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong usage of 'gruff' It's fine now! :))
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:50 pm

perfume, bread, winnow, dandy, scrupulous

It was a dandy day for making bread. My scrupulous husband had to go out and winnow, leaving me stuck at home with our 14 children. The younges, Sally-Jane, knocked over my bottle of perfume. Forcing everyone out of doors.

youngster, mafia, zuit suit, menagerie, bemuse
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:45 am

youngster, mafia, zuit suit, menagerie, bemuse

I plopped down on the couch and tuned in to a mafia movie. I heard my dad come down from the stairs wearing a zuit suit.
"Why are you wearing that, Dad? It's not the 40s anymore." I couldn't help but giggle.
"It's my friend's birthday today and he's throwing a big party. All the men are required to wear these suits. It's sort of the theme. I was lucky enough to find this in the basement." He looked like one of those Spaniards from old photos.
Suddenly the doorbell rang and I got up to answer it.
"Delivery for a Miss Katie Worth." A man in blue wore a name tag that said, "Hi, I'm John!" He was holding a clipboard.
"I'm Katie Worth." I said, bemused. What's this? I didn't order anything.
"Sign here, please." John told me, holding out the clipboard and a pen.
I obediently scribbled my name on the dotted lines and was about to tell him that I didn't order anything when three more men arrived out of nowhere, carrying three teddy bears each.
"What...what's...?" I stuttered.
"Mm? What's all the fuss, Katie? Who are these men?" My dad called out to me.
"Someone must have sent me these stuff toys." But who?
"Where do you want these, Miss?" The tallest of the three men asked me.
"Er, over there by the coffee table, please."
My dad smiled at me. "Thinking of opening up a menagerie, sweetheart? You're not a youngster anymore!"
"Dad! I told you I didn't order these!" Now was the time to ask John who was the sender.

bakery, frame, igneous, humus, education
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:34 am

bakery, frame, igneous, humus, education

My mother, since I was a child, treated me like I was born yesterday, under an igneous rock. She just never got the point that I went very far in my education, getting a masters and a PH.D. Though she worked in a bakery all her life, she had a small frame. I was always surprised that no matter how much humus she ate, she stayed slender. I never quite understood why she treated me like an oaf. Perhaps because her mother, to this day, treats her like one.

silent, monkey, arrow, hay fever, coach
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 12:02 pm

"Move your feet, people! You've been spending too much time on your butts using that blasted computer." Coach Cleats bellowed, blowing his whistle and shouting some more.
After everyone took their turns running, we plopped down on the grass to rest. My classmate Tim couldn't stop sneezing because of hay fever, the poor guy.
"I'm so tired. My legs are aching." My best friend, Cara, complained. The whole class was tired and sweating.
"Alright, class. We still have some time left before dismissal time. Maybe ya'll like to do some sit-ups, eh?"
Now a normal class would groan and go, "Aw, coach!" but my class was different. We were silent.
"Nah, I think everyone learned the importance of exercise. Shower and go home now."
Now in this case, we were definitely a normal class. Everyone cheered, "Yes!" including me.

-

As we were leaving the field, Cara got out a banana from her bag as usual and slowly peeled it.
"You monkey! Don't you get tired of bananas?" I asked.
"No. This way I always get a daily dose of potassium!" She took a bite.
I rolled my eyes and linked arms with her. "Let's go walk home together, monkey."
"Don't we always? And don't start calling me that!"
Suddenly, out of nowhere, an arrow appeared and pierced the trunk of a birch tree a few feet away from us.

string, forebear, unclench, teeter, emanate
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 8:22 pm

string, forebear, unclench, teeter, emanate

I was in the middle of the forest, lost; carrying nothing but string, emanating nothing but pessmism. Soon, I found myself pursued through the forest by an unseen man. I reached the edge of the cliff and found myself teetering on the edge. But as I was about to fall, he reached out and grabbed my arm. Suddenly, an evil smirk spread across his face. So this was what all my forebears had warned me about. He unclenched his grip on my arm, and left me to die.

alarm, air-conditioning, aquarium, robust, diamond
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:58 am

alarm, air-conditioning, aquarium, robust, diamond

I heard the lovely crashing sound of the alarm clock as I threw it against the wall. Maybe that ought to give me a few minutes of sleep.
"Kaylyn, wake up or you'll be late for school!" Or not. My mom busted in my room to shatter my temporary bliss.
"Okay, I choose the latter." I mumbled, pulling the covers.
"No, no, no. I will not have the teachers calling me again about your tardiness!" I saw her turning off the air-con.
"Mom! I like air-conditioning! Turn it on, turn it on!" I complained. Well, I was too lazy to get up and turn it on myself.
"Kaylyn Swift! If you do not get up this instant, I will confiscate your diamond ring!" Mom threatened in monotones.
"Ahhh! I'm up, I'm up! Just don't take away my jewelry!" She's smart, I'll give her that.
"Glad you see it my way. Nobody became successful by being in bed all day. Successful ones are robust and energetic!" That lecture, I didn't need. How many times did Mom say that? I already lost count.
"I got it, I got it."
"By the way, honey, you're going to love the new aquarium I just set up!" She said enthusiastically.

Video, grass, sober, wedding, wonderland
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Video, grass, sober, wedding, wonderland

Just the other day, I was watching my friend's wedding video. It took place in a winter wonderland, yet there was still grass sprouting up in some places. Not surprisingly, that was the only day she stayed sober, though her now-husband was as drunk as a sailor!

Laboratory, mountain, scarlet, physics, metaphor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vocabulary Challenge   Vocabulary Challenge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vocabulary Challenge
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next