Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?

Go down 
+5
Talkatoast
BeautyBlitz
Magda
Epiphany
Jane
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? Empty
PostSubject: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 3:14 am

Mine would be The Graves Are Not Yet Full by Bill Berkeley. It's one of the few nonfiction books that I've read lately. I go on about this book a lot, but that's because it really is eye-opening. Any books that opened your eyes?
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 5:09 am

Jane wrote:
Mine would be The Graves Are Not Yet Full by Bill Berkeley. It's one of the few nonfiction books that I've read lately. I go on about this book a lot, but that's because it really is eye-opening. Any books that opened your eyes?

Thought provoking books:
The Giver by Louis Lowry
The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Anthem by Ayn Rand
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 5:42 am

I think most of you know what I'm going to say already: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It takes place in 1800s France, and it made me think about cruelty, injustice, right and wrong...the usual stuff.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:57 am

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (which I read when I was 13) made me think about injustice, revenge, and perseverance. The list was probably longer but it has been many years since I read it.

They Cage the Animals at Night broke my heart. That book got thrown across the room a few times it made me so mad. It made me think about cruelty, abuse, and hope.

I am David by Anne Holm made me think about freedom, fear, hope and determination.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 2:30 pm

1984 because it contains a lot of horrifying possibilities.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Definitely Kazuo Ishiguro, "Never let me go". I won't spoil it, though. Just let me say this much: It took me 200 pages to figure out what was going on, and all that time, I couldn't put it down. It affected me for weeks afterwards. Simply fantastic!
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 3:41 pm

A few years back I read "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong, which detailed the rise of the world's three major monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) and how, like three contentious siblings, they just can't seem to get along. Armstrong's writing is straightforward and interesting, and even though she is a former nun, she shows no bias for any one faith. She has written several other books along the same lines.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 6:37 pm

I think I've heard the name Karen Armstrong before. Would you recommend it? I have discovered my preference for non-fiction lately, and might have a peek into it.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Yes, I would recommend it. She has written several very good non-fiction books, including the history of Jerusalem and the Crusades.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Paul wrote:
Yes, I would recommend it. She has written several very good non-fiction books, including the history of Jerusalem and the Crusades.

I'll put them on my wishlist, then. study
Back to top Go down
ksotikoula
ksotikoula

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 10:00 am

To start with most of the books are thought-provoking, but here are those that made me examine more some issues:

1. 1984 (terrifying possibilities of what our society could come to)
2. Animal farm (how to built a dictatorship and how will it end)
3. Lord of the flies (man outside of civilization turns to an animal?) - Wuthering Heights also send me
wondering about it.
4. Grapes of wrath (political exploitation, survival of humanity)
5. Crime and punishment (is it easy to overcome conscience?)
6. The house of mirth (the scapegoats and hypocrisy of society)
7. Villette (dealing with loneliness and alienation when everything goes wrong)
8. Jane Eyre (dilemmas: love vs independence, passion vs reason, passion vs morality, personal
needs vs societal demands)

There are probably much more books, but I can not recall them right now.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Upon reflection, a certain book, The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, really got me to look at my own life. It's about an Indian couple that moves to the USA with their newborn son. While the son is growing up in an American community, he experiences a lot of cultural tensions, between the American world that he prefers and the Indian world that he attempts to leave behind, but can't because of his parents.

It really does pertain to my life, because many of the issues the boy faces, I do too. It comforts me that I'm not the average ABCD (American-Born Confused Desi*). Most ABCDs are really Westernized, or more specifically--Americanized, and really shun anything Indian. Though I generally follow the American culture more, I don't shun the Indian culture. In fact, I can sense it coming back in me.

*Yes, I'm not American-Born, technically. But I moved here at 3-months, so I'm pretty dang close. Desi is another term for someone from India.

~~~~

Anyways, I just digressed. Sorry! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?   What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the most thought-provoking book you've ever read?
Page 1 of 1